Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting python - wget xml doc and parse with awk Post 302555126 by unclecameron on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 02:10:42 AM
Old 09-14-2011
python - wget xml doc and parse with awk

Well, that's what I'd do in bash Smilie Here's what I have so far:
Code:
import urllib2
from BeautifulSoup import BeautifulStoneSoup

xml = urllib2.urlopen('http://weatherlink.com/xml.php?user=blah&pass=blah')
soup = BeautifulStoneSoup(xml)
print soup.prettify()

but all it does is grab the html page, not the xml it should serve. The example xml looks like:
Code:
<title>blah</title>
<link>http://www.blah.com</link>
</image>
<suggested_pickup>15 minutes after the hour</suggested_pickup>
<dewpoint_c>16.7</dewpoint_c>
<dewpoint_f>62</dewpoint_f>
<heat_index_f>77</heat_index_f>

what can I do to make:
Code:
some_data {}
some_data [ 'dewpoint_c' ] = 16.7
some_data [ 'heat_index' ] = 77

or whatever those values should be from the xml it should get? I've also tried things like:
Code:
dom = minidom.parse(urllib2.urlopen(url))

&

xml = ElementTree.fromstring(result)
print xml.findtext(".//heat_index_f")

but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a XML file using PERL and XML::DOm

I need to know the way. I have got parsing down some nodes. But I was unable to get the child node perfectly. If you have code please send it. It will be very useful for me. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girigopal
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need AWk To parse XML logs

Hi , I need an Awk script to parse my log file . 2008-04-26 10:00:13,391 INFO Logger - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><2dm tmsg... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse the file in xml format using awk/nawk

Hi All, I have an xml file with the below format. <a>111</a><b>222</b><c>333<c><d><e>123</e><f>234</f><d><e>456</e><f>789</f> output needed is 111,222,333,123,234 111,222,333,456,789 nawk 'BEGIN{FS="<|>"} {print a,b,c,e,f a="" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wget and xml isssue

Hi All, I need to download with wget all files with "xml" extension for a specifix url say for instance https://www.example.com/xmlfiles/ I need to do this 3 times a day downloading just the new files added since last download and/or files that are changed from the last download. In order to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse XML e report con AWK

Thanks in advance who can answer. I have to make a small shell that after reading an XML file and extract the fields I create a text file with the same fields taken previously in tabular form. I did this parse.awk ---------------------- BEGIN { FS="" } { for(i=2; i<=NF; i+=2) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcarlo65
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (not Perl) to parse xml with awk

Hi, I have to make an script according to these: - I have couples of files like: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv xxxxxxxxxxxxx_desc.xml - every xml file has diferent fields, but keeps this format: ........ <defaultName>2011-02-25T16:43:43.582Z</defaultName> ........... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pluff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK to Parse XML messages

Hello Guys, Please help with AWK problem. I have XML file which contains a list of messages for subjects. Example of the messages: , message=, message=, message=, message=, message=, message=, message=, message= I want to use AWK to parse these xml messages but I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: James_Owen
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help with AWK to parse rapidly changing XML messages

Hi Guy's Can I please get some help with this code. I have xml feed file which rapidly changing temporary file and I need to capture the content of this file as soon as data arrives. Example of the data Required data output Time is current time. This is awk code that I have so far... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: James_Owen
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Script to parse a XML tag

I have an XML tag like this: <property name="agent" value="/var/tmp/root/eclipse" /> Is there way using awk that i can get the value from the above tag. So the output should be: /var/tmp/root/eclipse Help will be appreciated. Regards, Adi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)