Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting uniform and same result whois command line Post 302554984 by DGPickett on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 02:11:25 PM
Old 09-13-2011
Change the query type from 'ns' to 'any' or 'soa' for domain information. You can direct your query to the parent domain name server, if you want to verify the authority of the response. Just add it to the right end of the nslookup command.

If you do not trust the tools, you can send your own udp packets, no recursion, and walk it down the tree.

Last edited by DGPickett; 09-13-2011 at 03:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any why to get the number of line in grep result ?

Hello all when I do simple grep on file im getting the results of "filename : stringResult " is there any way to present also the line number in the file ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help: Run Java Command Line, Send Result to PHP?

EDIT: Sorry for the post, my good friend Google helped me out after some good searching! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tguillea
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the whole line which contains the result of the command cut

Hey everyone I have a file 'agenda' which contains: Object Day Month Year Birthday 09 02 2012 i want to extract from a script the line which contains the day the user typed. for example if he type 09 the line is showed using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldstein
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append result in the same line

I have a line like below a,blank,12,24 I want to add (12+24) at the end of the line or any where in the same line line output: a,blank,12,24,36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the current result with previous line result.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to compare current result with previous reuslt. The sample case is below. 1 job1 1 1 job2 2 1 job3 3 2 job_a1 1 2 job_a2 2 2 job_a3 3 3 job_b1 1 3 job_b2 2 for above sample file, GID is group ID, for input line, the job run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output result with break line

Hello, I am coding a script to check mysql databases using bash script, I would like to check if the status of a table is not 'OK', will return the table name and do some more actions: check.log table1 OK table2 Some error here table3 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abu Rayane
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint: get one result per line

Hi, I'm trying to get some values from an xmlfile and want be able to process them. I'm using xmllint(v20901 on debian jessie) and this program directly outputs all results concatenated right after each other. I did not find a solution in the man page to get a different format or some output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a multi-line shell command output and execute logic based on result

The following is a multi-line shell command example: $cargo build Compiling prawn v0.1.0 (/Users/ag/rust/prawn) error: failed to resolve: could not find `setup_panix` in `human_panic` --> src/main.rs:14:22 | 14 | human_panic::setup_panix!(); | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogi
2 Replies
NSLOOKUP(1)							       BIND9							       NSLOOKUP(1)

NAME
nslookup - query Internet name servers interactively SYNOPSIS
nslookup [-option] [name | -] [server] DESCRIPTION
Nslookup is a program to query Internet domain name servers. Nslookup has two modes: interactive and non-interactive. Interactive mode allows the user to query name servers for information about various hosts and domains or to print a list of hosts in a domain. Non-interactive mode is used to print just the name and requested information for a host or domain. ARGUMENTS
Interactive mode is entered in the following cases: 1. when no arguments are given (the default name server will be used) 2. when the first argument is a hyphen (-) and the second argument is the host name or Internet address of a name server. Non-interactive mode is used when the name or Internet address of the host to be looked up is given as the first argument. The optional second argument specifies the host name or address of a name server. Options can also be specified on the command line if they precede the arguments and are prefixed with a hyphen. For example, to change the default query type to host information, and the initial timeout to 10 seconds, type: nslookup -query=hinfo -timeout=10 INTERACTIVE COMMANDS
host [server] Look up information for host using the current default server or using server, if specified. If host is an Internet address and the query type is A or PTR, the name of the host is returned. If host is a name and does not have a trailing period, the search list is used to qualify the name. To look up a host not in the current domain, append a period to the name. server domain lserver domain Change the default server to domain; lserver uses the initial server to look up information about domain, while server uses the current default server. If an authoritative answer can't be found, the names of servers that might have the answer are returned. root not implemented finger not implemented ls not implemented view not implemented help not implemented ? not implemented exit Exits the program. set keyword[=value] This command is used to change state information that affects the lookups. Valid keywords are: all Prints the current values of the frequently used options to set. Information about the current default server and host is also printed. class=value Change the query class to one of: IN the Internet class CH the Chaos class HS the Hesiod class ANY wildcard The class specifies the protocol group of the information. (Default = IN; abbreviation = cl) [no]debug Turn on or off the display of the full response packet and any intermediate response packets when searching. (Default = nodebug; abbreviation = [no]deb) [no]d2 Turn debugging mode on or off. This displays more about what nslookup is doing. (Default = nod2) domain=name Sets the search list to name. [no]search If the lookup request contains at least one period but doesn't end with a trailing period, append the domain names in the domain search list to the request until an answer is received. (Default = search) port=value Change the default TCP/UDP name server port to value. (Default = 53; abbreviation = po) querytype=value type=value Change the type of the information query. (Default = A; abbreviations = q, ty) [no]recurse Tell the name server to query other servers if it does not have the information. (Default = recurse; abbreviation = [no]rec) retry=number Set the number of retries to number. timeout=number Change the initial timeout interval for waiting for a reply to number seconds. [no]vc Always use a virtual circuit when sending requests to the server. (Default = novc) [no]fail Try the next nameserver if a nameserver responds with SERVFAIL or a referral (nofail) or terminate query (fail) on such a response. (Default = nofail) FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
dig(1), host(1), named(8). AUTHOR
Andrew Cherenson COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2007, 2010 Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC") BIND9 Jun 30, 2000 NSLOOKUP(1)