Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters Post 302554949 by usha rao on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 12:30:36 PM
Old 09-13-2011
Thanks Ranga.. Its perfect...

Cheers,
Usha

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed with special characters

i have this script that searches for a pattern. However it fails if the pattern includes some special characters. So far, it fails with the following strings: 1. -Cr 2. $Mj 3. H'412 would a sed or awk be more effective? i don't want the users to put the (\) during the search (they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on pattern in awk, grep, sed or perl

Hi All, Can someone please help me write a script for the following requirement in awk, grep, sed or perl. Buuuu xxx bbb Kmmmm rrr ssss uuuu Kwwww zzzz ccc Roooowwww eeee Bxxxx jjjj dddd Kuuuu eeeee nnnn Rpppp cccc vvvv cccc Rhhhhhhyyyy tttt Lhhhh rrrrrssssss Bffff mmmm iiiii Ktttt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarn
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete pattern with special characters

Hi all, I have the following lines <b>A gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>B gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>J gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) and I would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED equivalent for grep -w -f with pattern having special characters

I'm looking for SED equivalent for grep -w -f. All I want is to search a list of patterns from a file. Also If the pattern doesn't match I do not want "null returned", rather I would prefer some text as place holder say "BLANK LINE" as I intend to process the output file based on line number. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice_man
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get data from hex file using SED or AWK based on pattern sign

I have a binary (hex) file I need to parse to get some data which are encoded this way: .* b4 . . . 01 12 .* af .* 83 L1 x1 x2 xL 84 L2 y1 y2 yL By another words there is a stream of hexadecimal bytes (in my example separated by space for better readability). I need to get value stored in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern.

Hi, I'm writing a ksh script and trying to use an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove the last 4 characters of a line in a file if it begins with a period. Here is the contents of the file... the column in which I want to remove the last 4 characters is the last column. ($6 in awk). I've... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk : how to delete lines based on IP pattern ?

Hi, I would like to delete lines in /etc/hosts on few workstations, basically I want to delete all the lines for a list of machines like this : for HOST in $(cat stations.lst |uniq) do # echo -n "$HOST" if ping -c 1 $HOST > /dev/null 2>&1 then HOSTNAME_val=`rsh $HOST "sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albator1932
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Precede and Append characters using sed/awk based on a pattern

I have an input file which is similar to what I have shown below. Pattern : Data followed by two blank lines followed by data again followed by two blank lines followed by data again etc.. The first three lines after every blank line combination(2 blank lines between data) should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerboy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Pattern with another that has Special Characters

Hello Team, Any help would be much appreciated for the below scenario: I have a sed command below where I am trying to replace the contents of 'old_pkey' variable with 'new_pkey' variable in a Soap request file (delete_request.txt). This works fine for regular string values, but this new_pkey... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
8 Replies
EvmEventNameMatch(3)					     Library Functions Manual					      EvmEventNameMatch(3)

NAME
EvmEventNameMatch(), EvmEventNameMatchStr() - match EVM event name SYNOPSIS
Library EVM Support Library Parameters pattern The event name pattern sought. The pattern may be any valid event name string. It may include wildcard characters in place of any component. event The event containing the event name to be compared against the pattern. match The result of the match. This operand is set to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. candidate A character string to be matched against the pattern DESCRIPTION
Because special matching rules apply when deciding whether a candidate event name matches a known name, the EVM name matching functions should be used for matching purposes, rather than the C string comparison functions The EVM functions match an event name against a sup- plied pattern, ignoring any trailing appended components in the candidate name, and correctly matching wildcard characters. The function takes an event and an event name pattern as input, and returns an indication of whether the event contains a name which matches the pattern in the match output argument. The pattern may be any valid event name string, and may also include wildcard characters in place of any component. A wildcard in the pattern matches zero or more name components. A matches exactly one component. A match occurs if the event name matches all components indicated by the pattern, even if the name has additional trailing elements. The function performs the same check as but takes a character string as the candidate event name, instead of extracting the candidate event name from a supplied event. Both functions set the match output argument to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. RETURN VALUE
The operation completed without error. The comparison was successful. The value of the match operand indicates whether the name matches the pattern. One of the arguments to the function is invalid. The supplied pattern contains invalid characters. The supplied event does not contain a name. ERRORS
The value of is not set. SEE ALSO
Routines memccpy(3C), strcat(3C). Event Management EVM(5). EVM Events EvmEvent(5). EvmEventNameMatch(3)