Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: selective printing of lines Post 302554939 by polsum on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 12:03:12 PM
Old 09-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazu
I can suggest, that you either:
1. want a work to be done, or
2. want to learn perl, or
3. want to do your homework.
It's not the first case, because you want specifically a perl solution. I can't say it is the second because you don't know about 'my' construction - and you can't learn anything without knowing elementary things. So you don't want to learn perl and it can be suggested that you just want to get a solution for your exercise. Ok, maybe someone will want to do it for you but it's just not me.
Its actually both 1 and 2. I am trying to finish the work by using/learning perl. I know about "my" construction. But I thought of it as an option as mentioned in the 'basic' perl book. While I appreciate your first reply in this thread, based on your replies in past threads and the second reply in this thread, I reckon you are very judgmental and your comments are presumptuous. Its not that I have not tried; I have provided the code. You either suggest something specific to the code or stay off. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

selective printing awk

Hi there my file looks like this 1 a b c d e f 2 a b b c d e f f g h e t t 3 a c b d e f 4 a b c i want to print the line which has the fields containing ONLY a b c, in this case the line 4. How can i awk it !!!? Many Thanks in advance! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

selective printing of lines

Hi all , i need to grep for a string in a text file and print the string and the 3rd line above it. As always , Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: okiedokie
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Printing Multiple Lines after pattern match

Hello People, Need some assistance/guidance. OUTLINE: Two files (File1 and File2) File1 has some ids such as 009463_3922_1827 897654_8764_5432 File2 has things along the lines of: Query= 009463_3922_1827 length=252 (252 letters) More stufff here ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deep9000
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed selective printing

Hi, I have an xml file having serveral smiliar lines as below <INPUT VAR1 ="" DATATYPE ="number(p,s)" VAR2 ="" VAR3 ="3" VAR4="0" VAR5 ="ELEMITEM" VAR6 ="NO" VAR7 ="NOT A KEY" VAR8 ="17" LEVEL ="0" NAME ="UNIX" NULLABLE ="NOTNULL" OCCURS ="0" OFFSET ="19" PHYSICALLENGTH ="15"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk selective printing

Hi, i need help to print number from different field INPUT: Student1 10 20 Student2 30 40 Student3 50 60 Student4 70 80 Desired Output: 1 20-30 2 40-50 3 60-70 Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

selective printing

hi all from below text "abcd,SYS_12345,xyz,PQR, ," I want to print only "abcd,SYS,xyz,PQR, ," i.e. taking only first three 3 chars from 2 string of comma separated file thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeColeEPL9
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective printing

I have the following contents in a file ---- CRITICAL: altered for /usr/bin/bin1 ---- OK: /usr/sbin/bin2 result fine ---- OK: /usr/sbin/bin3 result fine ---- CRITICAL: altered for /usr/bin/bin4 ---- OK: /usr/bin/bin5 result fine ---- OK: /usr/bin/bin6 result fine ---- CRITICAL: altered for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective printing based on matched record

Hi, I have file with thousands of lines somewhat similar to the below 6 lines 06MXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 0328 003529 J27300022 MICROSOFT *MSN 06<1 000000001344392 JPN151-85830 MSBILL.INFO F 06<A17087454000328651551 MSBILL.INFO ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Selective printing of fields

Hi Gurus, I have following input file. I tried multiple awk combinations to print selected columns without success. HEX ID Name ver FLRGT Start Time Total Shared End Date ----- -------- --- ------ ------------------------ -------------- -------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Continued trouble matching fields in different files and selective field printing ([g]awk)

I apologize in advance, but I continue to have trouble searching for matches between two files and then printing portions of each to output in awk and would very much appreciate some help. I have data as follows: File1 PS012,002 PRQ 0 1 1 17 1 0 -1 3 2 1 2 -1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)