Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Runaway Processes (I think)
Operating Systems AIX Runaway Processes (I think) Post 302554915 by zaxxon on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 10:43:30 AM
Old 09-13-2011
IBM can't tell more than what they see in the snaps etc. from the OS gathered by perfpmr. Since they didn't see anything strange, they ask for the application as they can't have a clue how the application works, that's right.

Are you sure it didn't look the same before the upgrade? Question might sound stupid, but just to make sure.
High C shows them currently active but the percentage is average since start so can you talk with any of the users and ask what they are doing or if they are doing different things than usual (at least jufackle?). Sometimes there is a perdiodic run of other tasks because of business things like gathering end-of-the-month statistics or whatever could be the reason to produce a peak - you'd better know or maybe your users than I.
Is the box being pressed against the wall vmstat-wise?

Killing or stopping the application by one user and starting anew will have the same effect that C rises up that high immediately?

You could check (awful work) what enhancements or fixes the difference between 5300-06-03 and 5300-12-04 has brought.

Sorry to have no better idea at the moment to help you.

Do you have nmon-monitoring up maybe to check pre-update data with current cpu/process wise? If not it could be helpful in the future.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Runaway process. Opinions needed

not too long ago, i wrote a very short script that will bring up 4 customized xterms. The script went completely abnormal simply because of an error I had made in a while loop. This script took control of the system and rendered everything useless. The system admin team which i was part of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway processes killed (Really need help)

I got about more than 300 emails from root with the subject "Runaway processes killed" saying that "13146 12737 97.7 6 bash" . So what should I do? Any help would be appreciate (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need some example of Co-Processes

I want to know how to work the Co-Processes in kornshell scripts. So, I very need some script about Co-Processes! thanks ...:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javalee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Runaway process

Hello all, My hosting provider has contacted me in order to notify about a runaway process issue. Here it is: They have given me a list of those processes but I can neither analyze nor understand what I should do. DATE Fri Nov 21 21:32:29 GMT 2008 SINFO hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elwoodblues47
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Runaway String Problem

Database.txt John:30:40 echo -n "New Title Please :" read NewTitle awk -F":" 'OFS = ":"{ $1 = "'$NewTitle'" ; print $0 } ' Database.txt> Database2.txt mv Database2.txt Database.txt what this does, is that when i input something into $NewTitle, it will update $1 which is "John" into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve awk: line 1: runaway string constant error?

Hi All ! I am just trying to print bash variable in awk statement as string here is my script n=1 for file in `ls *.tk |sort -t"-" -k2n,2`; do ak=`(awk 'FNR=='$n'{print $0}' res.dat)` awk '{print "'$ak'",$0}' OFS="\t" $file n=$((n+1)) unset ak doneI am getting following error awk:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
7 Replies
PAM_ISSUE(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_ISSUE(8)

NAME
pam_issue - PAM module to add issue file to user prompt SYNOPSIS
pam_issue.so [noesc] [issue=issue-file-name] DESCRIPTION
pam_issue is a PAM module to prepend an issue file to the username prompt. It also by default parses escape codes in the issue file similar to some common getty's (using x format). Recognized escapes: d current day l name of this tty m machine architecture (uname -m) machine's network node hostname (uname -n) o domain name of this system release number of operating system (uname -r) current time s operating system name (uname -s) u number of users currently logged in U same as u except it is suffixed with "user" or "users" (eg. "1 user" or "10 users") v operating system version and build date (uname -v) OPTIONS
noesc Turns off escape code parsing. issue=issue-file-name The file to output if not using the default. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The prompt was already changed. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service module error occurred. PAM_SUCCESS The new prompt was set successfully. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific issue at login: auth optional pam_issue.so issue=/etc/issue SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_issue was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_ISSUE(8)