Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lseek implementation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lseek implementation Post 302554901 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 10:13:00 AM
Old 09-13-2011
POSIX specifies programming APIs. It is silent on the implementation of those APIs.

However, the behavior you see if what I would expect. Writes by their very nature are going to take longer than reads. Reads can come from cache. Writes cannot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

lseek in c

sir, i used lssek as this lseek(fp,-10,2); i am not getting any output i dont now why can you explan sir.. Thanks in advance, Arunkumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on AWK implementation

Hi, I am accepting a string from user. compare this output with the awk output as below... echo "\n\n\tDay : \c" read day awk '{ if($day == $2) { if ($mon == $1) { print "Yes" }}}' syslog.txt I am getting the follwoing error awk: Field $() is not correct. The input line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies

3. Programming

Hairy Problem! lseek over 4G

recently my project needs me to lseek a position over 4G size.... i found in linux or unix the parameters are all ulong 32 bits...the limit dooms the movement of a position over 4G I was told that i should lseek64 to meet my need... but i have no idea where i can get the function neither by "man... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: macroideal
8 Replies

4. Programming

Malloc implementation in C

Hey Guys I am trying to implement the malloc function for my OS class and I am having a little trouble with it. I would be really grateful if I could get some hints on this problem. So I am using a doubly-linked list as my data structure and I have to allocate memory for it (duh...). The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gambit_b
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Malloc Implementation in C

Hey Guys Some of my friends have got together and we are trying to write a basic kernel similar to Linux. I am trying to implement the malloc function in C and I am using a doubly linked list as the primary data structure. I need to allocate memory for this link list (duh...) and I don't feel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lseek() equivalent

I know there is lseek() function that will allow to write or read from certain position in the file. Is there similar function that will let do same but for array rather then file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding lseek

I tried to use lseek system call to determine the number of bytes in a file. To do so, I used open system call with O_APPEND flag to open a file. As lseek returns the current offset so I called lseek for opened file with offset as zero and whence as SEEK_CUR. So I guess it must return the number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Raj
3 Replies

8. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. AIX

Backup: The lseek call failed

Hi, We are facing issues while backing up our 1205 GB filesystem on LTO5 Tape. During backup the "backup: The lseek call failed." messages were generated, I want to know why these messages were generating AIX version is: 6100-08-00-0000 backup: The date of this level 0 backup is Mon Mar 11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
4 Replies

10. Programming

Problem with lseek call.

The following code: int fd; if (fd = open("mem", O_RDONLY) == -1) return 1; if (lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET) == -1) { char *buf = malloc(512); buf = strerror(errno); printf("%s\n", buf); return 1; } always returns with "illegal seek"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sir_Tomasz
2 Replies
acl_trivial(3SEC)				       File Access Control Library Functions					 acl_trivial(3SEC)

NAME
acl_trivial - determine whether a file has a trivial ACL SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lsec [ library... ] #include <sys/acl.h> int acl_trivial(char *path); DESCRIPTION
The acl_trivial() function is used to determine whether a file has a trivial ACL. Whether an ACL is trivial depends on the type of the ACL. A POSIX draft ACL is trivial if it has greater than MIN_ACL_ENTRIES. An NFSv4/ZFS-style ACL is trivial if it either has entries other than owner@, group@, and everyone@, has inheritance flags set, or is not ordered in a manner that meets POSIX access control requirements. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, acl_trivial() returns 0 if the file's ACL is trivial and 1 if the file's ACL is not trivial. If it could not be determined whether a file's ACL is trivial, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The acl_trivial() function will fail if: EACCES A file's ACL could not be read. ENOENT A component of path does not name an existing file or path is an empty string. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acl(5), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 6 Oct 2005 acl_trivial(3SEC)