Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting removing file with bad characters Post 302554883 by BeefStu on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 09:31:16 AM
Old 09-13-2011
Actually I figured it out thanks for your response

find . -name "temp01.dbf*" -mtime +5 -exec rm {} ";"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing carriage return characters from file

Hello there, I need to remove carriage return characters (\n and \r) from any input file specified. This is what I am doing right now: - dumping the file to octal format using the command 'od -c file_name - removing and \s and \n characters using sed commands What I need to do now is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1saini
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing certain characters in a file

Hi I have a file that has semicolons in it (;) is there a way to just remove these in the file. Example name: Joe Smith; group: Group1; name: Mary White; group: Group2; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing unwanted characters from a file

i have a file like this 1111_2222#$#$dudgfdk 11111111_343434#$#$334 1111_22222#43445667 i want to remove all those charachetrs from # how can i do this Thank in advance Saravanan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M characters from a file

Hi, I want to removing ^M characters from a file and combine the line with the next line. ex: issue i have: ABC^M^M DEF solution i need: ABCDEF I found that you by using the following command you can remove new line characters. tr -d '\r' < infile.csv > outfile.csv still... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing bad records from a text file

Hi, I have an requirement where i need to remove few bad records(bad records I mean email id's are part of the 1st field, where a numeric value expected) from the text file delimited by ",". file1.txt --------- 1234,,DAVID,MAX abc@email.com,,JOHN,SMITH 234,,ROBERT,SEN I need to remove... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
3 Replies

7. Linux

Removing non printing characters from a csv file

Hi, I have an csv file and there are some non printable characters(extended ascii) so I am trying to create a clean copy of the csv file . I am using this command: tr -cd "" < /opt/informatica/PowerCenter8.6.0/server/infa_shared/SrcFiles/ThirdParty/locations.csv > ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerkus
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Non-printable characters in unix file

Hi, We have a non printable character "®" in our file , we want to remove this character, we tried tr -dc '' < oldfile> newfile but this command is removing all new line entries along with the non printable character and all the records are coming in one line(it is changing the format of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing these non-ASCII characters from a file

Hi, I have many text files which contain some non-ASCII characters. I attach the screenshots of one of the files for people to have a look at. The issue is even after issuing the non-ASCII removal commands one of the characters does not go away. The character that goes away is the black one with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last and first characters in a file

bash-3.00$ cat temp.txt ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/ces.war/WEB-INF/classes/reds/common/environment.properties ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/commonproperties/hi/HostIntegration.properties... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies
badsect(8)						      System Manager's Manual							badsect(8)

NAME
badsect - Creates files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/badsect bbdir sector... DESCRIPTION
The badsect command makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a forwarding table for bad sectors to the driver. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard, it is preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks because the bad block forwarding makes the disk appear perfect, and such disks can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by badsect is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect cannot make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector that is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard formatter. Thus, to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard, badsect can be used to good effect. Use the badsect command on a quiet file system in the following way: Mount the file system and change to its root directory. Make a direc- tory BAD there. Run badsect, giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, as reported in console error messages.) Change back to the root directory, unmount the file system, and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This operation will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. The badsect command works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When fsck discovers the file, it will ask "HOLD BAD BLOCK?" An affirmative response will cause fsck to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. RESTRICTIONS
If more than one of the sectors comprised by a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. ERRORS
The badsect command refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. SEE ALSO
Commands: fsck(8) badsect(8)