Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If Then ElseIf Script - Confusion Around Expression's Syntax Post 302554874 by dqrgk0 on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 09:14:01 AM
Old 09-13-2011
Data If Then ElseIf Script - Confusion Around Expression's Syntax

Hello,

I am relatively new to UNIX scripting and am learning a lot. I have already tried several searches on this website and have tried various syntax options suggested to no avail. I am obviously not writing the script correctly. I really do appreciate any and all the help.

Below is an outline of what I am looking to accomplish. The text in blue highlights the sections I am struggling with. Smilie

GOALS:
IF
The file, /test/me/test.csv is less than 295 bytes
THEN
Do commands here (already have this part written successfully)

ELIF
The file, /test/me/test.csv is >= 295 bytes AND if the FIRST row in that file contains the header string that begins with, ie. Tick_Num,Line_No,*
THEN

ELIF
The file /test/me/test.csv = 0 bytes
THEN
FI

Again, thank you very much.

D

Last edited by dqrgk0; 09-13-2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: code tags, see PM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

One more expression syntax error

HI again, still working on the assignment, which is really hard given we just started unix 4 weeks ago. This script should change the permission for the user depending if its x, w or r, to the opposite. When i try to run it, I am getting expression error. Can you spot where the problem is? I really... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morava
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expression syntax

Hello, I am getting Expression syntax message and I cannot figure out what's wrong. This program will print all the odd numbers between 0 and the one the user enters, in cshell. I think my logic is either good or almost there, but i dont see the errors. I think it could be the spaces between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morava
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk if elseif syntax error

Below is the code. nawk -F "|" 'FNR==NR{a=$3 OFS $4 OFS $5 OFS $6;next} {\ if ($5 in a)\ {print $1,"ABC",$5,"I",a, $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2"-"$3"-"$4} ; \ elseif ($5=="g")\ print $1,"ABC",$5,"I",$5 OFS OFS OFS OFS $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error for if statment test expression

Hi what's the correct way of writing if 1)if "$time_diff" -gt 5 then echo "killing hung process \n" fi 2)if test $time_diff -gt 5 then echo "killing hung process \n" fi where -time_diff=$(($Sam - $current_min)) and current_min=`date +%M` infact both are giving Syntax... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anteus
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if expression syntax error

#! /bin/csh set umr=UMR foreach i ( `ls`) set file_nm=$i set bh_nm=`echo $file_nm | cut -d"_" -f2` if($bh_nm !=$umr) then { set bh_ext=`echo $file_nm | cut -d"_" -f4` set bh_num_nm="$bh_nm $bh_ext a .txt" mv $file_nm $bh_num_nm } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do echo $i$j$k done done done Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell? As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if: expression syntax error in gawk

I'm pretty new to shell scripting, but I am catching on quick. I did see one of the stickied threads about the csh, and I think this is relevant, but I don't understand enough to make a decision based on it. So as you'll see below, I use the |csh pipe, and if that is not correct, I'm certainly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macman104
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If expression syntax

Hello there! I am having some difficulties in the syntax of a script. I am a newbie :) What i want is a script that copies 1 or more files to a destination folder with a question if file allready exists if ($#argv > 2) then if (-d $argv($#argv)) then foreach x ($*) cp -i $x to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennui92
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk script (syntax error in regular expression)

I've found this script which seems very promising to solve my issue: To search and replace many different database passwords in many different (.php, .pl, .cgi, etc.) files across my filesystem. The passwords may or may not be contained within quotes, single quotes, etc. #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with Reg expression

I want to make a REG Expression to validate the directory. my dirsample is below: /abc/abc/abc abc/abc/abc abc/abc/abc/ /abc/a bc/abc /a bc/abc/abc /abc/abc/a bc / abc/abc/abc /abc/ abc/abc /abc/.abc /.abc/abc / // /abc /.abc And my code is below: grep -E '^\/(+\/?)+$' dirsample (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
4 Replies
if(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							     if(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
if - Execute scripts conditionally SYNOPSIS
if expr1 ?then? body1 elseif expr2 ?then? body2 elseif ... ?else? ?bodyN? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The if command evaluates expr1 as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must be a boolean (a numeric value, where 0 is false and anything is true, or a string value such as true or yes for true and false or no for false); if it is true then body1 is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Otherwise expr2 is evaluated as an expression and if it is true then body2 is executed, and so on. If none of the expressions evaluates to true then bodyN is executed. The then and else arguments are optional "noise words" to make the command easier to read. There may be any number of elseif clauses, including zero. BodyN may also be omitted as long as else is omitted too. The return value from the command is the result of the body script that was executed, or an empty string if none of the expressions was non-zero and there was no bodyN. EXAMPLES
A simple conditional: if {$vbl == 1} { puts "vbl is one" } With an else-clause: if {$vbl == 1} { puts "vbl is one" } else { puts "vbl is not one" } With an elseif-clause too: if {$vbl == 1} { puts "vbl is one" } elseif {$vbl == 2} { puts "vbl is two" } else { puts "vbl is not one or two" } Remember, expressions can be multi-line, but in that case it can be a good idea to use the optional then keyword for clarity: if { $vbl == 1 || $vbl == 2 || $vbl == 3 } then { puts "vbl is one, two or three" } SEE ALSO
expr(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean, conditional, else, false, if, true Tcl if(n)