Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to send large file through E-mail IN Unix AIX Post 302554582 by Corona688 on Monday 12th of September 2011 11:39:04 AM
Old 09-12-2011
2GB is two thousand times larger than the maximum size I consider 'polite' to send over email -- 1 megabyte. Even these days I doubt it would fit in a lot of people's inboxes, and many email servers would rather time out than wait hours on end for the file to get uploaded and downloaded.

How well the file compresses depends on what it is. Text can compress very well, but the compression you get for anything else are unpredictable. Unless you get extremely efficient compression, it's not going to help a lot since you have to beat the 25+% overhead base64 email encoding uses to send binary files.

There's three ways I'd usually handle this:
  1. Set up a file server on the UNIX server(http, ftp, sftp, things like that) Windows needs to retrieve the file from, so the Windows user can download the file at their leisure. What kind of server depends on what features you need, what programs have to use it, and what kind of security is necessary.
  2. Set up a file server on the Windows machine(usually FTP) so the UNIX machine can upload the file automatically to the Windows one.
  3. Find a smarter way to bundle up the necessary data. Do they really need the entire 2-gigabyte monolith, every single time?

Last edited by Corona688; 09-12-2011 at 12:44 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not send mail from unix server to company/yahoo mail

hi, Gurus, I need some help with sending mail out from my UNIX server: It is running Solaris 2.6 and the sendmail version is 8.8. Output of :/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null Version 8.8.8+Sun Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
5 Replies

2. AIX

Configure AIX v5.1 for send mail

Hi, I wish to send a mail via ksh using this command: cat mailfile | mail -s "My Project." gio123bg@hel.com Is it necessary to configure some file? If yes, in which way? May you explain me all steps necessary to implement the above command? Many thanks in advance for your kind... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
0 Replies

3. AIX

How to send a mail with an attachment from AIX 5.2 OS?

Has anyone written a script to attach a file when sending an email using the mailx command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mintu41
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to send mail form unix to other mail accounts.

Using Mailx command i.e mailx -s "subject" chinni@hotmail.com < \tmp\chin this command executed sucessfully but not able to receive the mail in chinni@hotmail.com please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnigd
1 Replies

5. AIX

Why a core file is created whenever I send a mail in AIX

Whenever i send a mail like: mail <mail id>, a core file is created under /var/spool/mqueue/ path. This is increasing the space of the file system. Why is that core file get created. Does it happens normally. I am getting an errpt error as: LABEL: CORE_DUMP IDENTIFIER: B6048838 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreereddy
0 Replies

6. Programming

send mail performance problem in AIX

Hi All, Our application is designed to send the emails. we use standard C lib to send the mails using send() function. This works fine on Solaris,HP UX and windows, but on AIX the performance is very slow. it takes around 32 sec to send a simple mail whereas in Solaris 2-3 sec. I would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrihari_s
2 Replies

7. AIX

Cannot send mail from AIX 5.2 to out side

Hi... help me please Previously, my server could send the email from deamon to out side but now it could not. I tried to use command "mailq -v", it show error as below that "alias database unavailable". Does anyone help me, what should I fix? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mis1864
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail from AIX unix with multiple attachment

Hi, I have the below code for sending email from AIX unix. I need the body of the mail should content of errornotify.txt file. i tested with cat errornotify.txt, it is not working...Also i need multiple attachments. Can you please help me out on this. ( echo "From:cus@xxx.xx.com" echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send mail from AIX 7.1

Hi, My OS version is AIX 7.1. I am trying to send an email with a file to my mail address. sendmail or uuencode does not work. Can someone give me the correct format ? I use: uuencode <file name> | mail -s "subject" emailaddress Thanks Use code tags, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
3 Replies
FTP-UPLOAD(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    FTP-UPLOAD(1p)

NAME
ftp-upload - batch transfer local files to an FTP server SYNOPSIS
ftp-upload [any-switch]... {[repeatable-switch]... file...}... DESCRIPTION
ftp-upload is used to send local files to an FTP server. It isn't interactive, it's meant to be used from scripts. It is disciplined about its exit value and it doesn't output informational messages by default. There are two kinds of switches. Initial switches have to appear before any filenames, they affect the session as a whole. Repeatable switches can appear interspersed with the file names, they affect the transfer of the files which appear after them on the command line. OPTIONS
Initial switches These have to be used before any file names listed on the command line. --debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --ignore-quit-failure Don't complain or set a failure exit code just because the QUIT command fails. This can be necessary because some servers, in blatant disregard of RFC 959, close the command channel when you send them an ABOR command. -v, --verbose Print informational messages to stdout. --version Show the version number and exit. Initial switches which specify connection information These also have to be used before any file names listed on the command line. They specify the information used to set up the FTP connec- tion. --account account This specifies the account to be used when logging into the remote system. This is distinct from the user name used to log in. Few systems need this. There is no default. -h, --host host Specify the host to which to connect. There is no default, you have to specify this switch. --passive Force the use of passive (PASV) transfers. Passive transfers are required with some firewall configurations, but if you have such you'd do better to configure Net::FTP so that it knows when to use them (see Net::Config). If you need to use passive transfers with certain (broken) servers, however, this switch is your best bet. Alternatively, you can set $FTP_PASSIVE to 1 in the environment (see Net::FTP). --password pw This gives the password which will be used to login. The default is your email address. Note that you should not specify a real (secret) password this way, as on most systems anybody on the machine can see the arguments you pass to your commands. Use one of other password-setting switches instead. -s, --password-stdin This tells ftp-upload to read the password from standard input. No prompt will be printed, and a single line will be read. Most peo- ple will use this switch to specify the password. Eg, echo 3x9sjJJh | ftp-upload -sh $host -u $user $file Using echo this way is safe where the --password switch isn't if the echo command is built in to the shell. --password-fd fd This is like --password-stdin except that it reads the password from the file descriptor numbered fd. ftp-upload -h $host -u $user --password-fd=3 3<$pw_file $file -u, --user user Specify the user name to use when logging in. The default is "anonymous". Repeatable switches These switches can be used anywhere on the command line (except after the last file name). They affect the transfer of files listed after them. --as remote-name Normally a file is transferred using the same name it has locally. If you use this switch the next file transferred will be called remote-name on the other host instead. ftp-upload --host $host --as index.htm index.html -a, --ascii Perform transfers in ASCII mode. -b, --binary Perform transfers in binary mode. This is the default. -d, --dir dir Change directory to dir on the FTP server before continuing. You can use this multiple times between files, ftp-upload will chdir once for each time you specify it. Using ".." as the dir will cause an FTP "CDUP" to be done rather than a "CWD". --full-path Normally uploaded files go into the current directory on the remote host, even when the local file name given contains slashes. Eg, if you say ftp-upload -h $host /etc/motd ftp-upload will upload the file as motd, not /etc/motd. This differs from how the standard ftp program works, and it also differs with how ftp-upload worked before version 1.3. If you specify --full-path, you'll get the other behavior. A request to upload dir/file will tell the server to store dir/file rather than file. When you use --as the --full-path setting doesn't matter. --full-path only tells the program what name to use when it's choosing the name. --no-full-path Disable --full-path. This is the default. -l, --ls Try to get a remote directory listing of files after transferring them. I say "try" because there's no guaranteed way to do this with the FTP protocol. The command I run is "LIST file". This will generally work if file doesn't contain any special characters. -L, --no-ls Disable the --ls behavior. --tmp-none Transfer files directly, don't do anything special to try to ensure that they don't appear under their real names on the remote machine until the transfer is finished. Each file is transferred with a single simple "STOR". This is the default. --tmp-samedir Transfer files to the remote machine using a temporary name, then rename them when the transfer finishes. This won't work if the remote server doesn't give a recognizable response to the "STOU" command. If the server's response to "STOU" isn't recognized by Net::FTP but is reasonable, Graham Barr might be willing to change Net::FTP to recognize it. If you like you can send the "--debug" output to me and I'll coordinate such requests. --tmp-dir dir Transfer files to dir on the remote host, then rename them when the transfer is complete. This is safer than --tmp-samedir because it doesn't use "STOU" and so it works with more servers. ftp-upload -h $host --tmp-dir incoming $file --tmp-format fmt Transfer files to "sprintf(fmt, file base name)", then rename them when the transfer is complete. Like --tmp-dir, this is safer than --tmp-samedir because it doesn't use "STOU" and so it works with more servers. ftp-upload -h $host --tmp-format tmp.%s $file AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.7 2006-03-16 FTP-UPLOAD(1p)