Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Named pipe in shell script Post 302554447 by sudvishw on Monday 12th of September 2011 05:21:13 AM
Old 09-12-2011
Thanks a lot. Now I understood how the named pipe works.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

2. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

will a named pipe always be size 0 on filesystem?

I did cat < myFile >> myPipe I was hoping that if I did ls -l, myPipe would now be holding the contents of myFile, and would be the same size. But it was 0. Also strange was that when I did the command above, cat did not return control back to the shell. Why? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering mail into a named pipe

Hello, On my machine, all mail is stored in my /var/spool/mail. IS there a way to direct all mail that goes there into a namep pipe? Thank you, Dado (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Named pipe performance

Hi, I am getting data into a Named pipe. Does Named pipe have any size restriction; I know it does not have any storage and it just passes on the data to the next process. I want to know, if there will be a difference in the Named pipe performance if the data input is more. (I am using DB2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
1 Replies

8. Programming

Named pipe behavior in Linux

Hi All ! I try to collect importent events from syslog and in my syslog conf, there is something like this: *.* |/logs/ipes/SLpipe1 I have a program, which opens this pipe and reads the messages from it. But how this pipe works ? Where can I probably read something about the details,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabra
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named pipe hanging?

Ok, I can't seem to figure this out or find anything on the web about this. I'm on Sun Solaris, UNIX. I have the following test script: #!/bin/ksh touch test.file LOG=./tmp.log rm -f ${LOG} PIPE=./tmp.pipe mkfifo ${PIPE} trap "rm -f ${PIPE}" EXIT tee -a ${LOG} < ${PIPE} & ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ditto
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test named pipe file?

Hi ALL, How can I test a given file name exists and if it is a named pipe file in shell script ? Thanks............ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mycode.in
2 Replies
TOGEOMVIEW(1gv) 														   TOGEOMVIEW(1gv)

NAME
togeomview - send commands or OOGL objects to geomview SYNOPSIS
togeomview [-c] [-g] [pipename [program args ...]] DESCRIPTION
togeomview sends a stream of geomview commands, or OOGL-format geometric data, to a cooperating copy of geomview. If geomview is not run- ning, it is automatically started. ('geomview' must be on the $PATH of the user running 'togeomview' in order for this to work.) Typical usage is: someprogram | togeomview (to send commands) or someprogram-generating-OOGL-data | togeomview -g (to send geometry) i.e. a program pipes geometric data into ``togeomview''; the data is displayed by a copy of geomview run with the -M option and a name matching the one given to togeomview. Togeomview uses a named pipe in the directory /tmp/geomview to communicate with geomview. If unspecified, the pipe's default name is "OOGL". When sending geometry (-g), a geomview object with the same name as the pipe appears in geomview's object browser. By default, when no suitable copy of geomview is running, togeomview invokes "geomview" with arguments specifying the appropriate named pipe. A different command may be specified as in: togeomview OOGL gv -wpos 300x300 -c my_startup_script which communicates through a pipe named OOGL, and (if necessary) invokes the given gv command. The pipe name is required if a command is specified. After togeomview has created it, the named pipe may be written as an ordinary file. For example, one could use togeomview pipename < /dev/null to invoke a listening copy of geomview, and then run a program which simply wrote to /tmp/geomview/pipename. FILES
/tmp/geomview BUGS
The pipe-based communications scheme imposes several restrictions. If no copy of geomview is reading from the pipe, or if geomview gets far enough behind, a program writing data to ``togeomview'' will be forced to block after sending a few kilobytes. Because of the buffering in the pipe, the sender may be substantially ahead of the geomview display. If geomview exits, the sending program receives a write-on-broken-pipe (SIGPIPE) signal, which will kill it unless measures are taken to catch or ignore that signal. Only one copy of geomview can read from a given pipe at a time. If a second copy attempts to read from it, both will probably fail. It's fine to have multiple copies of geomview reading from different pipes. Note that togeomview will invoke geomview if no extant copy is listening to the relevant pipe; it can't connect to an existing copy of geomview started by other means. SEE ALSO
geomview(1), oogl(5) Geometry Center 21 May 1993 TOGEOMVIEW(1gv)