Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Most vexing: Sed or Awk scripting for date conversion needed Post 302554360 by alister on Sunday 11th of September 2011 07:28:42 PM
Old 09-11-2011
Hello, Astrocloud:

I think the easiest solution is some AWK pixie dust. The following one-liner not only shuffles the date components, but it makes certain to zero-pad them (1 to 01, 8 to 08, etc):
Code:
awk -F'/| ' '{printf("%.4d-%.2d-%.2d %s\n", $3, $1, $2, $4)}'

Regards and welcome to the forum,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Replacing all date & time occurrences in a file with a string using Sed

Hi, I am new to using Sed. I have a file containg lines like the following: INFORM----Test.pc:168:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here.. TRACE-----Test.pc:197:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here.. My requirement is to replace 10/11/05 12:34:26 with a string <RUNDATE> (including <... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hema_M
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for date conversion

hi awk script for dd/mm/yyyy to yyyymmdd awk script for dd-mon-yyyy to yyyymmdd awk script for dd-mm-yyyy to yyyymmdd formate ..............urgent............. Thanks in advanced (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk scripting help needed

hi all, for an example : df -k output shows: $ df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/cciss/c0d0p6 3099260 1117760 1824068 8% / /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 256666 18065 225349 8% /boot none 8219180 0 8219180 0% /dev/shm /dev/mapper/vglocal-home 1032088 245172 734488 26%... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/shell scripting - add line if needed and not allready there

I am writing a shell script that checks all .c files to see if they use fprintf or printf. If a file does, then the line #include <stdio.h> is added to the top of the file, unless it's already there. This is what I've got: #!/bin/sh egrep -l f?printf *.c | while read file; do sed -i '1i\... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wiki conversion with Awk or Sed

I have the words in twiki format that I want to convert to mediawiki format like below : %BLUE%some words1%ENDCOLOR% bla bla blab labdad sdadasd adsasdads oerdkfj kdfjs %PINK%some wordks2 123.4.5.6/26%ENDCOLOR%, ksdjak dkasjd kjfrjkfgjdkfgjdfkgjdgdfgdgf %PURPLE%1.2.3.4/28%ENDCOLOR%, dskd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed using awk scripting

Hi, I've few files in the following format file 1 ------------------------- A=a1 B=0 C=1 D=3 A=a2 B=0 C=1 D=3 A=a3 B=0 C=6 D=7 A=a4 B=0 C=1 D=3 A=a5 B=0 C=1 D=3 file 2 ------------------------- A=a1 B=2 C=2 D=4 A=a2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skpvalvekar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Date Conversion on output string from awk

Hi, I would like to convert the output from awk function to date and print on the screen. Example : echo "Start Date: May 24 2010" | gawk -F": " '{print $2}' Output : May 04 2010 I want this to be converted to 2010/05/24 Can i use date function here and how? Thanks, Deepika (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepikad
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

another vexing awk problem

Hello; I have the following commnad: ls -lrt /ulogs/dblocks_logs/*log |awk '{print "grep Total "$9" |tail -20"}' | sh 05/10/11 21:54:01 Total number of locks:0 05/10/11 21:55:01 Total number of locks:0 05/10/11 21:56:01 Total number of locks:2 05/10/11 21:57:00 Total number of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Scripting with date format conversion

I have a script below and wanted to change the output into three different file format (3 separate script) #!bin/bash #input file format postwrf_d01_20131206_0600_f08400.grb2 #postwrf_d01_YYYYMMDD_ZZZZ_f0HHHH.grb2 #zzzz= 0000,0600,1200,1800 (in UTC) #HHHH=00000,00600,01200,01800 ..ect (in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cumulus_255
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Date format conversion how to change this from using nawk to awk

Hi, I have a file where I need to change the date format on the nth field from DD-MM-YYYY to YYYY-MM-DD so I can accurately sort the record by dates From regex - Use sed or awk to fix date format - Stack Overflow, I found an example using nawk. Test run as below: $: cat xyz.txt A ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
PRINTF(3S)																PRINTF(3S)

NAME
printf, fprintf, sprintf - formatted output conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> printf(format [, arg ] ... ) char *format; fprintf(stream, format [, arg ] ... ) FILE *stream; char *format; sprintf(s, format [, arg ] ... ) char *s, format; DESCRIPTION
Printf places output on the standard output stream stdout. Fprintf places output on the named output stream. Sprintf places `output' in the string s, followed by the character `'. Each of these functions converts, formats, and prints its arguments after the first under control of the first argument. The first argu- ment is a character string which contains two types of objects: plain characters, which are simply copied to the output stream, and conver- sion specifications, each of which causes conversion and printing of the next successive arg printf. Each conversion specification is introduced by the character %. Following the %, there may be - an optional minus sign `-' which specifies left adjustment of the converted value in the indicated field; - an optional digit string specifying a field width; if the converted value has fewer characters than the field width it will be blank-padded on the left (or right, if the left-adjustment indicator has been given) to make up the field width; if the field width begins with a zero, zero-padding will be done instead of blank-padding; - an optional period `.' which serves to separate the field width from the next digit string; - an optional digit string specifying a precision which specifies the number of digits to appear after the decimal point, for e- and f-conversion, or the maximum number of characters to be printed from a string; - the character l specifying that a following d, o, x, or u corresponds to a long integer arg. (A capitalized conversion code accom- plishes the same thing.) - a character which indicates the type of conversion to be applied. A field width or precision may be `*' instead of a digit string. In this case an integer arg supplies the field width or precision. The conversion characters and their meanings are dox The integer arg is converted to decimal, octal, or hexadecimal notation respectively. f The float or double arg is converted to decimal notation in the style `[-]ddd.ddd' where the number of d's after the decimal point is equal to the precision specification for the argument. If the precision is missing, 6 digits are given; if the precision is explicitly 0, no digits and no decimal point are printed. e The float or double arg is converted in the style `[-]d.ddde+-dd' where there is one digit before the decimal point and the number after is equal to the precision specification for the argument; when the precision is missing, 6 digits are produced. g The float or double arg is printed in style d, in style f, or in style e, whichever gives full precision in minimum space. c The character arg is printed. Null characters are ignored. s Arg is taken to be a string (character pointer) and characters from the string are printed until a null character or until the num- ber of characters indicated by the precision specification is reached; however if the precision is 0 or missing all characters up to a null are printed. u The unsigned integer arg is converted to decimal and printed (the result will be in the range 0 to 65535). % Print a `%'; no argument is converted. In no case does a non-existent or small field width cause truncation of a field; padding takes place only if the specified field width exceeds the actual width. Characters generated by printf are printed by putc(3). Examples To print a date and time in the form `Sunday, July 3, 10:02', where weekday and month are pointers to null-terminated strings: printf("%s, %s %d, %02d:%02d", weekday, month, day, hour, min); To print pi to 5 decimals: printf("pi = %.5f", 4*atan(1.0)); SEE ALSO
putc(3), scanf(3), ecvt(3) BUGS
Very wide fields (>128 characters) fail. PRINTF(3S)