Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Need gcc binary for a SPARC machine Post 302554358 by achenle on Sunday 11th of September 2011 07:24:11 PM
Old 09-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit
Steve, there are various reasons why the sysadmin would remove a compiler binary, not least of which is for security purposes. Not all systems need a compiler installed, and if not then there is no reason to leave one on in order to give tools to miscreants who want to build their own versions of system utilities etc. If you want a compiler on your system, you are going to have to talk to your sysadmin.
Hah! I hope all the security "experts" out there are also completely removing all forms of Perl from their machines.

And that's just one way to get around someone who thinks "I can make a system more secure by deleting compilers".

No you can't. Because you're not really changing what any user can actually DO.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Where to buy used Sparc machine

Hello, I plan to take the SCSA exam. I think if I have a Sparc machine that will be very helpful, though I could run VMWare on Win system. So could anyone know where I can buy a used workstaion. I am not dare going to eBay :) , (I am not sure the source is reliable). I live in up NY state. And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billshu
1 Replies

2. Solaris

gcc 4.2.0 from SUN binary gccfss

Hi All I have installed the above version of gcc from the SUN binaries and recieved the following linker error when trying to compile and link a hello world test program written in C++. ld: fatal: option -z has illegal argument `ld32=-S/export/home/sources/gcc_SUN_b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing gcc on SPARC 5.9

Hi, I am trying to install gcc on SPARC 5.9 pkgadd -d gcc-3.4.2-sol9-sparc-local i get the below error pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed - open of <gcc-3.4.2-sol9-sparc-local> failed, errno=2 pkgadd: ERROR: could not process datastream from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting SPARC 5 Machine 's CD-ROM

Hi, I have inherited a Ultra 5 SPARC machine that I need to boot from its CD-ROM. WHen I turn on the machine it just boots to its hard drive. How do I get it to boot from the CD-ROM. I am a Solaris newbie.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Programming

Header file compilation using gcc in Sparc Solaris

I am facing problem while migrating the c++ code from Linux to Solaris. In linux the code is absolutly compiled fine with GCC compiler but when i am using the same in Solaris it coomplains bash-3.1$ gcc LibSip.h gcc: Compilation of header file requested The same command is working fine in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrupesh74
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Newly Compiled GCC 4.4.4 on Solaris sparc gives problem with -m32/-m64 flags

Hello experts, This issue has kept me busy all day long. It started off with openssl compilation which was giving linking error with following message: /usr/local/bin/ld: target elf32-sparc not found collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I tried every step possible thing that I could think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_shanke
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris virtual machine SPARC?

Hello, please, can somebody tell me if can i virtualize Solaris 11 SPARC architecture in a x86 PC? Virtualbox allows doing that? i need to run Solaris 11 SPARC to make a lab, and dont have any SUN machine to do on it. Thanks in advance! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuziKizuM
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Start /SYS on SUN SPARC does not start machine [SUN SPARC ENTERPRISE T-5240]

-> start /SYS Are you sure you want to start /SYS (y/n)? y Starting /SYS ]-> show HOST /HOST Targets: bootmode diag domain Properties: autorestart = reset autorunonerror = false bootfailrecovery = poweroff ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
29 Replies
sb2-init(1)							 sb2-init man page						       sb2-init(1)

NAME
sb2-init - initialize a target for scratchbox2 SYNOPSIS
sb2-init [OPTION]... [TARGETNAME] [COMPILER[:SPECS]] [SECONDARY_COMPILER...] DESCRIPTION
sb2-init initializes a target for scratchbox2. If no options or other parameters are given, already initialized targets are listed. A scratchbox2 target is simply a light-weight, symbolic name for a configuration set. A target does not contain anything that is active, like running processes; hence a user never "works inside a target". Instead, sessions are used for all active operations. Sessions are created by the sb2 command. sb2-init is expected to be run in the directory you want to use as the target root filesystem. TARGETNAME is the name of the target to initialize. If it refers to an existing target, then the target is re-initialized. Otherwise a new one is created. COMPILER is full path to a cross-compiler (gcc), of the form $HOME/arm-2006q3/bin/arm-linux-gcc. An optional SPECS parameter is path to the compiler specs file. If more than one compiler is specified, additional compilers are available by version number (e.g. if the primary is known as "gcc" and "gcc-4.1", the secondary may be "gcc-3.4", etc) Note that the compiler is usually used during the target creation process to determine CPU architecture of the target system. OPTIONS
-c "command" specify cpu transparency command, for example: "qemu-arm", "sbrsh" or "qemu-arm -R 256M". CPU transparency method is the program which is used to execute foreign binaries, that the host computer can not execute directly. -p "command" specify cpu transparency command for staticly linked native binaries. -r [hostname] generate sbrsh config using remote device address -l [hostname] NFS server/localhost address seen by remote device -d set target as default scratchbox2 target (default target can also be set later with the sb2-config command) -m [mapping_mode] use mapping_mode as default. Default for this is "simple" -h Print help. -n don't build libtool for the target -N don't generate localization files for the target -s skip checks for target root's /usr/include etc. -t [tools_dir] set directory containing the build tools distribution -C "options" add extra options for the compiler, for example: -C "-fgnu89-inline" -A arch manually override target architecture -M arch manually override machine name (see uname(2)). This defaults to the target architecture (see option -A) -v display version EXAMPLES
mkdir $HOME/buildroot cd $HOME/buildroot [fetch a rootfs from somewhere and extract it here] sb2-init -c qemu-arm TARGET /path/to/cross-compiler/bin/arm-linux-gcc FILES
$HOME/.scratchbox2/* SEE ALSO
sb2(1), sb2-config(1), qemu(1) BUGS
No known bugs at this time. AUTHORS
Lauri T. Aarnio 2.2 17 December 2010 sb2-init(1)