Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 c0t0d0p0 Vs. c0t0d0s0 Post 302554248 by jlliagre on Sunday 11th of September 2011 04:05:27 AM
Old 09-11-2011
I suspect this to have been already answered a gazillion times in this forum. Anyway, a partition is what the BIOS call a primary partition and is limited to 4 while a slice is a subdivision of a Solaris/Solaris2 partition and you can have up to 8 or 16 ones depending on the architecture.
c = controller
t = target
d = disk

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

"/" c0t0d0s0 showing 100%.

hi I recently started looking after server with sunsolaris os. it is dual host system. In one server the '/' showing 56% in other it is showing 100% in df -k. the status of slice was used avail capacity mounted on /dev/dsk.c0t0d0s0 961181 95**** 0 100%... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabir
4 Replies

2. Solaris

What is c0t0d0s0?

I always thought c=controller, t=target, d=disk, s=slice. How exactly are they assigned? My internal drive is c0t1d0. But if I connect an external box, it jumps to c2t10d0, c2t11d0 etc. Is t=target? What exactly does those t-numbers mean and why does it jump to t10, t11 instead of going... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

4. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris ssh client hangs when connecting to another Solaris machine

Got a strange problem. I have 4 Solaris servers all configured the same, Solaris 10 x86 update 10. When I try to ssh from one Solaris 10 server to another server ssh hangs. I have an identical server and when I try this everything works fine. The weird thing is if I am root on the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies
cmdk(7D)                                                              Devices                                                             cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)