Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to WAIT for jobs in each group to finish? Post 302554198 by bartus11 on Saturday 10th of September 2011 05:36:21 PM
Old 09-10-2011
Let me ask you again why are you using backticks? What shell are you using? Try the code without backticks:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "=========>> EDW_Daily_Sch_DS_step7 Group-1 Job Started at `date` "
sleep 10 &
sleep 30 &
wait
echo "=========>> EDW_Daily_Sch_DS_step7 Group-1 Has Completed at `date` "
echo ""
echo "=========>> EDW_Daily_Sch_DS_step7 Group-2 Job Started at `date` "
sleep 30 &
sleep 10 &
wait
echo "=========>> EDW_Daily_Sch_DS_step7 Group-2 Has Completed at `date` "

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I wait for PID to finish in another shell

Have a need to schedule programs that can run after other programs are completed. Here's the catch: 1) The list of programs will not always be the same (kind of a plug-n-play deal) 2) The invoking shell may not be the same as the shell of the program being waited on In other words, I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to wait for the subprocess to finish in tcl

Hi All Here i have a piece of code, set filename "./GopiRun.sh" #I need to wait here until the GopiRun.sh is completed how do i achive this exit. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to wait for tar to finish before sending the archive through ftp?

Hey all, I want to automate tarring a directory then using ftp to transfer the files over. I was able to put the commands together but what I'm noticing is that only the very first file is being tarred and then transferred. tar cvpf new.backup sourceAbove is the command I'm using which works... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to wait for a grand child to finish?

Hello all, I have a very basic question. I have a requirement where in, I have a main process which forks a child process, which execs and runs a c executable corresponding to a daemon. In the c executable corresponding to a daemon, as everyone does, I fork another child process, and as part of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai2krishna
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run multiple jobs and it's dependent jobs

I have multiple jobs and each job dependent on other job. Each Job generates a log and If job completed successfully log file end's with JOB ENDED SUCCESSFULLY message and if it failed then it will end with JOB ENDED with FAILURE. I need an help how to start. Attaching the JOB dependency... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santoshkumarkal
3 Replies
WAIT(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   WAIT(1)

NAME
wait -- await process completion SYNOPSIS
wait [pid] DESCRIPTION
If invoked with no arguments, the wait utility waits until all existing child processes in the background have terminated. Available operands: pid If a pid operand is specified, and it is the process ID of a background child process that still exists, the wait utility waits until that process has completed and consumes its status information, without consuming the status information of any other process. If a pid operand is specified that is not the process ID of a child background process that still exists, wait exits without waiting for any processes to complete. The wait utility exits with one of the following values: 0 The wait utility was invoked with no operands and all of the existing background child processes have terminated, or the process specified by the pid operand exited normally with 0 as its exit status. >0 The specified process did not exist and its exit status information was not available, or the specified process existed or its exit status information was available, and it terminated with a non-zero exit status. If the specified process terminated abnormally due to the receipt of a signal, the exit status information of wait contains that termination status as well. STANDARDS
The wait command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD