Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix filesystem question
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions unix filesystem question Post 302554161 by DukeNuke2 on Saturday 10th of September 2011 11:51:51 AM
Old 09-10-2011
i can not answer this for sure BUT with only 12 direct blocks you can not reach block 13 with just one disk access. and the same is true for 150 blocks, even if they are sequential.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

What filesystem does unix use?

And what program can i use to make a unix format? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark Chrono
6 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

question on filesystem

I heard that if normal users were allowed to create device files by mknod, security problem would be happened. what problem do you think will happen? and It is a really bad idea to use fsck(1M) on a disk partition that is mounted. For example it would be a mistake to run #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junghun_95
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix filesystem

hello all, i want to know about the unix file system. about the boot block,super block,and how to access them ,all the geometry details of the file systemetc etc... where can i find this??? i'l b happy if u can help me with a link!!!!! thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anwerreyaz
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question on Filesystem

I have an AIX filesystem at 100% and I need to increase it by 30gb. Please give me the command to do this. Thanks in advance. I tried this command and got this error: chfs -a size=+500M /dev/test1223 0516-404 allocp: This system cannot fulfill the allocation request. There are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

5. Solaris

UFS filesystem mounted on 2 hosts question

I have two Unix (Solaris) hosts that are both attached to our SAN. They are both presented with the same luns. What I want to do is have the same UFS filesystem mounted on both hosts at the same time. What I am trying to accomplish is creating a zone that will reside on both hosts but only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beaker457
2 Replies

6. SuSE

filesystem from unix 32 to linux 64

Hi all. Im migrating from a Unix 32 bit to a linux suse 10 64 bit and would like to know whats the best way to migrate the filesystems? cpio? tar? ftp? Could I make a backup in tape in the unix 32 and restore it in the linux 64? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy unix filesystem to windows

Hi all Is there a way to copy a unix filesystem (folders, subfolder and files) to windows (AD) and at the same time maintaine the unix permission (user/group) when copied to windows (AD) filesystem? I want the same permission in windows as I had in unix in one copy job. Is this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjen
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Unix command to fill filesystem

I have been trying to fill all available file space on my Solaris box for my project but have not been successful. I have tried the following script: tr '\0' '\060' < /dev/zero | dd of=zero2.txt bs=1024 count=1953125 But the only thing i get in return is this: "d: bad numeric argument:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbur101
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If [ -h filesystem] question

Hi, I have linux script for post install, there is a line shown below what I do not understand if then     rm -f /opt/isv/testfile     umask 000 Can any one explain me what if does. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stew
1 Replies

10. AIX

Question about shared filesystem btw AIX and RHEL

We found out that the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) doesnt support mix nodes (AIX and RHEL) on direct attached storage. Is there any other options besides NFS for mix O/S? Trying to avoid network type of shared filesystem which might end up high traffic on IO because we do run backup jobs on those... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiasu
0 Replies
tunefs(1M)																tunefs(1M)

NAME
tunefs - tune up an existing HFS file system SYNOPSIS
maxcontig] rotdelay] maxbpg] minfree] advanced read-ahead] special-device DESCRIPTION
The command is used to alter dynamic parameters that affect HFS file system layout policies. Parameters to be altered are specified by the options and arguments provided on the command line as described below. affects how the file system blocks are laid out on the disk. The default rotdelay value set by the and commands (see newfs(1M) and mkfs(1M)) is 0 milliseconds, causing file system blocks to be written and read consecutively. In general, this should be the optimal tun- ing, making the use of unnecessary. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Set the maximum number of contiguous blocks that will be laid out before forcing a rotational delay to maxcontig (see below). The default value is because most device drivers require one interrupt per disk transfer. For device drivers that can chain several buffers together in a single transfer, set maxcontig to the maximum chain length. rotdelay is the expected time (in milliseconds) to service a transfer completion interrupt and initiate a new transfer on the same disk. It is used to determine how much rotational spacing to place between successive blocks in a file. maxbpg specifies the maximum number of blocks any single file can allocate out of a cylinder group before it is forced to begin allocating blocks from another cylinder group. Typically this value is set to about one fourth of the total blocks in a cylinder group. The intent is to prevent any single file from using up all the blocks in a single cylin- der group, thus degrading access times for all files subsequently allocated in that cylinder group. The effect of this limit is to cause large files to do long seeks more frequently than if they were allowed to allocate all the blocks in a cylinder group before seeking elsewhere. For file systems with exclusively large files, this parameter should be set higher. minfree specifies the percentage of space that is not available to normal users; i.e., the minimum free space threshold. The default value used is 10%. This value can be set to zero. If set to zero, throughput performance drops to as little as one-third of the efficiency expected when the threshold is set at 10%. Note that if minfree is raised above the current usage level, users cannot allocate files until enough files have been deleted to meet the new threshold requirement. Advanced read-ahead specifies whether the file system should use an advanced predictive read-ahead algorithm. The implementation requires more system resources in exchange for an advanced access pattern recognition. Patterns include forward sequential, backward sequential, forward strided, and backward strided. This value can be set to zero (disable) or one (enable). By default, a file system will have advanced read-ahead enabled when created. (visual) Display current values contained in the primary super-block to standard output. (all) Modify redundant super-blocks as well as the primary super-block as stipulated by the configuration options and arguments. special-device is the name of the file system to be tuned. It is either a block or character special file if the file system is not mounted, or a block special file if the file system is mounted. WARNINGS
Root file system tuning is normally done during initial system software installation. Tuning the root file system after installation has little useful effect because so many files have already been written. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dumpfs(1M), mkfs(1M), newfs(1M). tunefs(1M)