Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Aptitude removes all packages Post 302553962 by NH2 on Friday 9th of September 2011 10:00:46 AM
Old 09-09-2011
If you don't have backup, might worth to give a try to use a rescue CD to either
  • have a minimal working system, mount disk and possibly backup data offline, or
  • re-install the whole system (lib .so etc.)

That won't be fun anyway,
/Lew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debian aptitude - apt-get problem

I've got a strange one. As root, in aptitude, I'll do an update successfully. Then I do an upgrade, the files download, the progress bar will not show total progress, just progress per file, then reset to 0% for the next file. When the files complete downloading, I hit a carrige return to go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikek147
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script removes itself

I have a script that reads from a file and deletes all files in tha path specified in the file.The problem,however, is the script also deletes itself from the home directory where I run it :-( #!/bin/ksh while read DAYS PURGE_PATH do cd $PURGE_PATH find . \( -type d ! -name . -prune \)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt vs aptitude little tutorial

Hi all I dont know if this is right place but I saw somewhere dd tutorial so I decidet to write a little tutorial about debian package manager. I hope this will clear some misundersands about it, maybe somewher i will be wrong or somebody could explain it better so any comments are welcomed. Many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GAWK removes FS | on output

I have the simple gawk script below. When the script runs in the output of all the ITM lines the FS is replaced with a space, the Non ITM lines retain the | field separator. The ITM lines have many fields and I can't insert "|" between each field because some of the fields are blank. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulr211
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

eval removes backslash

Hi, ============= In one of my config files, I have below command eval echo RECORDDELIMITER '\n' The above command results in removing backslash and outputs: RECORDDELIMITER n ============= Any workaround to retain the backslash after eval. Appreciated for your... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
10 Replies

6. Slackware

Find Slackware Packages - packages.acl.org.ua

Hi! Let me introduce a project for find and download Slackware packages and browse Slackware repositories. The site provides following features: * Large, daily updated database with RPM, DEB, TGZ, TXZ packages for well-known repositories of the Slackware, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Debian,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lystor
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl/sed -i removes link

hello, is it a behavior of or that "-i" removes unix link . example : i create a file "src_file" and link it to "link_file" and then i start "perl -i" the link is removed. does another option exists to change content of a file without temporary files ? UNIX-Version: HP-UX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: removes \ from text which causes issues

Hi all, Hoping someone hoping someone might be able to help. i've got the following sed command which i'm using in a bash script that i'm trying to use to insert a new line into an already existing file so i don't have to manually enter it when setting stuff up. the existing script test2/3 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: springs2
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why awk removes delimiters?

Code : echo "1,2,3,4"|awk -F "," 'NR==n{$3=a}1' n=1 a=45 Output : 1 2 45 4 Expected : 1,2,45,4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_us
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk removes delimiter unexpectedly

datafile: blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah=0_nblah=0-- ,blah,blah,blah im using the following command to turn the "_n" and "-- " to just a space " " only in the $9th field. meaning, it has to make the changes only in the 9th column/field of the datafile. awk -F, '{... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
svn-fast-backup(1)					      General Commands Manual						svn-fast-backup(1)

NAME
svn-fast-backup - very fast backup for Subversion fsfs repositories. SYNOPSIS
svn-fast-backup [-q] [-k{N|all}] [-f] [-t] [-s] repos_path backup_dir DESCRIPTION
svn-fast-backup uses rsync snapshots for very fast backup of a Subversion fsfs repository at repos_path to backup_dir/repos-rev, the latest revision number in the repository. Multiple fsfs backups share data via hardlinks, so old backups are almost free, since a newer revision of a repository is almost a complete superset of an older revision. This is good for replacing incremental log-dump+restore-style backups because it is just as space-conserving and even faster; there is no inter-backup state (old backups are essentially caches); each backup directory is self-contained. It has the same command-line interface as svn-hot-backup(1) (if you use --force), but only works for fsfs repositories. svn-fast-backup keeps 64 backups by default and deletes backups older than these; this can be adjusted with the -k option. OPTIONS
-h, --help Shows some brief help text. -q, --quiet Quieter-than-usual operation. -k, --keep=N Keep a specified number of backups; the default is to keep 64. -k, --keep=all Do not delete any old backups at all. -f, --force Make a new backup even if one with the current revision exists. -t, --trace Show actions. -s, --simulate Don't perform actions. AUTHOR
Voluntary contributions made by many individuals. Copyright (C) 2006 CollabNet. 2006-11-09 svn-fast-backup(1)