Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ssh through "expect" in shell script Post 302553876 by hfreyer on Friday 9th of September 2011 05:00:59 AM
Old 09-09-2011
Can't confirm statement 3. of Chubler_XL. I'm using expect for ssh connections.
One might think of extending the expect command to handle the ssh login state machine,
e.g. something like this:
Code:
      expect {
        "continue connecting (yes/no)? " {
          exp_send "yes\r"
          exp_continue
        }
        -nocase "password:" {
          exp_send "$password\r"
          exp_continue
        }
        "Permission denied" {
          puts "\ninvalid user/password\n"
        }
        "->" {
          puts "\nssh login successful\n"
        }
      }

This User Gave Thanks to hfreyer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help on "Expect" command in shell programming

Hi, Iam using Solaris 10 OS in the server.iam unable to find expect command in bin directory.how can i install the script in the server to use "expect" in shell programming. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
1 Replies

2. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec perl in expect script yields "invalid command"

I'm trying to execute something like this: exec perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' '${file}' in my expect script and I get: error "invalid command name \"perl\". however, if I run perl -i -pe 's/\015/\012/g' "/Users/Shared/menu-items.txt" directly in my terminal, it runs fine. I'm an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpouliot
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

6. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project