Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing the output of a background job Post 302553801 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 8th of September 2011 07:24:22 PM
Old 09-08-2011
Have you considered using expect it's very good for this sort of thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

I try to run a script as background job. script: #!/usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/date +20%y-%m-%d > ~/datsql.txt If I start it I got this output: tac> ./datermitteln& 293 + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ./datermitteln& I insert the following line inside my script, but without any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

on gnome i open a terminal and run wget http://soommmething & in the background. because wget shows me downloading progress percentage and download speed continuously, I exit the gnome-terminal after a while i want to see the download percentage but dont know how. my ps -u myname shows that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babayeve
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot submit a background job

Hi all, I am currently facing a problem when i am submitting a script to run in the background to collect statistics round the clock on an AIX box. I don't have root authority nor can I set it in cron. So when i submit the job, it runs fine, but won't let me signoff. It prompts me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Foreground job to background redirecting output

I have many CPU intensive processes running and sometimes I run them in the foreground so that I can see what the output is. I want to send that foreground process to the background, but also have it direct the output to a logfile. I know to send something to the bg I do Ctrl-z on the FG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhullbuzz
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All, I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script. Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background job issue

How to bring a backgroud job say sample_script.sh to foreground (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the return code from background process

Hi All, I was out not working on unix from quite sometime and came back recently. I would really appreciate a help on one of the issue I am facing.... I am trying to kick off the CodeNameProcess.sh in PARALLEL for all the available codes. The script runs fine in parallel. Let say there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies
sortbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							sortbib(1)

Name
       sortbib - sort bibliographic database

Syntax
       sortbib [-sKEYS] database...

Description
       The  command sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys.  Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[
       and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together.  This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields,  which
       are  sorted  separately.   The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records.  These records
       are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input.

By default, alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date.  The -s option is used to specify new
       KEYS.  For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date.  Sort keys past the fourth
       are not meaningful.  No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time.  Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated.

The command sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name.  A word in the final  position,  such	as
       ``jr.''	or  ``ed.'',  will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma.  Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions
       can be sorted correctly by using the convention ``'' in place of a blank.  A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except  sorting
       begins  with  the first, not the last, word.  The command sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year.  It also ignores leading
       articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any  modern  European  language.
       If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, places that record before other records containing that field.

Options
       -sKEYS
	  Specifies new sort KEYS.  For example, ATD sorts by author, title, and date.

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1)

sortbib(1)