Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shelling Out to Give a System Command Drains Free Memory Post 302553722 by Corona688 on Thursday 8th of September 2011 11:08:14 AM
Old 09-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonShw
I took a look with "free -m" and the situation looked entirely different.
Naturally it would, after the fact... But it reports the same information. You'll have to add free and cache.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free

Reference: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/20041115/ap_on_hi_te/sun_solaris10 Sun to Give Out Operating System for Free Mon Nov 15, 7:31 AM ET By MATTHEW FORDAHL, AP Technology Writer SAN JOSE, Calif. - After investing roughly $500 million and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to free the memory?

For example if i have the piece of code as follows: CountryName = (char *)malloc((strlen(CountryName)+1)*sizeof(char)); memset(CountryName, 0, strlen(CountryName)+1); CountryName = SOME VALUE Now how do i free the memory after use of this code???? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

3. AIX

Free Memory

Hi, how to find free memory in aix? for installing oracle,I have used svmon but not getting proper output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can anyone give more details about the system calls?

Hello, Please can any one explain about the parameters to the write systemcalls?? How are they passed?? and how is the address of the user buffer is handled by the kenel?? for ex: write(fd,buf,count); How does the kernel handles this user buffer address?? After write does the kernel write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakash.kudreka
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

6. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies

9. Programming

Memory free() in C

Hi guys. I've a question, if we are using a syscall that receives a string allocated dynamicaly to a determined size, or NUL and it will allocate the apropriate size. We should free the memory or the OS will do it for us? If a function returns a pointer we should free that poiter when we are done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Is there a way to free up memory manually ?

Hi, I am wondering if there is a way to free up memory in Solaris manually ? the way we can do it in Linux for example : echo `/bin/date` "************* Memory Info Before *************" free -m sync echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches echo 3 >... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
13 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)