Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Aptitude removes all packages Post 302553531 by paragnehete on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 11:47:31 PM
Old 09-08-2011
Aptitude removes all packages

Hi Team,
Please find below error. I got this after i done something in aptitude. Actually i was trying to update all packages, but unfortunately I removed all packages.

Now my server is down. When i boot it gives me me errors of missing .so files.

Is there any way to repair my server without affecting to existing files? As everything is removed i am not able to run the basic commands like ls / cp / mv / apt-get also.
Please Help me out.

Code:
Reading database ... 37665 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mpd ...
Removing libaudiofile0 ...
Removing libavformat-extra-52 ...
Removing libavcodec-extra-52 ...
Removing libavutil-extra-49 ...
Removing libfaad2 ...
Removing libflac8 ...
Removing mysql-server ...
Removing mysql-server-5.0 ...
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
Removing mysql-client-5.0 ...
Removing ubuntu-minimal ...
Removing apt-utils ...
Removing ubuntu-standard ...
Removing dselect ...
Removing aptitude ...
Removing libsigc++-2.0-0c2a ...
Removing libresid-builder0c2a ...
Removing man-db ...
Removing groff-base ...
Removing build-essential ...
Removing g++ ...
Removing lshw ...
Removing debhelper ...
Removing html2text ...
Removing w3m ...
Removing libgc1c2 ...
Removing libtiff4-dev ...
Removing libtiffxx0c2 ...
Removing apt ...
Removing wvdial ...
Removing libuniconf4.2 ...
Removing libwvstreams4.2-extras ...
Removing libwvstreams4.2-base ...
Removing libxplc0.3.13 ...
Removing telnet ...
Removing libsidplay2 ...
Removing php5 ...
Removing libapache2-mod-php5 ...
Module php5 disabled; run /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload to fully disable.
Removing apache2 ...
Removing apache2-mpm-prefork ...
 * Stopping apache 2.0 web server...                                                                                                                                                          [ ok ] 
Removing apache2-common ...
Removing gcc ...
Removing libmms0 ...
Removing libglib2.0-0 ...
Removing libjack0 ...
Removing libmpcdec3 ...
Removing libpulse0 ...
Removing libshout3 ...
Removing libsqlite3-0 ...
Removing libwavpack1 ...
Removing libstdc++6-4.0-dev ...
Removing g++-4.0 ...
Removing libstdc++6 ...
Removing gcc-4.0 ...
Removing libgcc1 ...
Press return to continue.

Thanks & Regards
Parag Nehete

Last edited by pludi; 09-09-2011 at 04:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debian aptitude - apt-get problem

I've got a strange one. As root, in aptitude, I'll do an update successfully. Then I do an upgrade, the files download, the progress bar will not show total progress, just progress per file, then reset to 0% for the next file. When the files complete downloading, I hit a carrige return to go to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikek147
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script removes itself

I have a script that reads from a file and deletes all files in tha path specified in the file.The problem,however, is the script also deletes itself from the home directory where I run it :-( #!/bin/ksh while read DAYS PURGE_PATH do cd $PURGE_PATH find . \( -type d ! -name . -prune \)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt vs aptitude little tutorial

Hi all I dont know if this is right place but I saw somewhere dd tutorial so I decidet to write a little tutorial about debian package manager. I hope this will clear some misundersands about it, maybe somewher i will be wrong or somebody could explain it better so any comments are welcomed. Many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GAWK removes FS | on output

I have the simple gawk script below. When the script runs in the output of all the ITM lines the FS is replaced with a space, the Non ITM lines retain the | field separator. The ITM lines have many fields and I can't insert "|" between each field because some of the fields are blank. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulr211
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

eval removes backslash

Hi, ============= In one of my config files, I have below command eval echo RECORDDELIMITER '\n' The above command results in removing backslash and outputs: RECORDDELIMITER n ============= Any workaround to retain the backslash after eval. Appreciated for your... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
10 Replies

6. Slackware

Find Slackware Packages - packages.acl.org.ua

Hi! Let me introduce a project for find and download Slackware packages and browse Slackware repositories. The site provides following features: * Large, daily updated database with RPM, DEB, TGZ, TXZ packages for well-known repositories of the Slackware, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Debian,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lystor
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

perl/sed -i removes link

hello, is it a behavior of or that "-i" removes unix link . example : i create a file "src_file" and link it to "link_file" and then i start "perl -i" the link is removed. does another option exists to change content of a file without temporary files ? UNIX-Version: HP-UX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: removes \ from text which causes issues

Hi all, Hoping someone hoping someone might be able to help. i've got the following sed command which i'm using in a bash script that i'm trying to use to insert a new line into an already existing file so i don't have to manually enter it when setting stuff up. the existing script test2/3 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: springs2
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why awk removes delimiters?

Code : echo "1,2,3,4"|awk -F "," 'NR==n{$3=a}1' n=1 a=45 Output : 1 2 45 4 Expected : 1,2,45,4 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_us
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk removes delimiter unexpectedly

datafile: blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah=0_nblah=0-- ,blah,blah,blah im using the following command to turn the "_n" and "-- " to just a space " " only in the $9th field. meaning, it has to make the changes only in the 9th column/field of the datafile. awk -F, '{... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
rem_drv(1M)															       rem_drv(1M)

NAME
rem_drv - remove a device driver from the system SYNOPSIS
rem_drv [-b basedir] device_driver The rem_drv command informs the system that the device driver device_driver is no longer valid. If possible, rem_drv unloads device_driver from memory. rem_drv also updates the system driver configuration files. If rem_drv has been executed, the next time the system is rebooted it automatically performs a reconfiguration boot (see kernel(1M)). The following options are supported: -b basedir Sets the path to the root directory of the diskless client. Used on the server to execute rem_drv for a client. The client machine must be rebooted to unload the driver. Note - The root file system of any non-global zones must not be referenced with the -b option. Doing so might damage the global zone's file system, might compromise the security of the global zone, and might damage the non-global zone's file system. See zones(5). Example 1: Removing the sd Driver The following example removes the sd driver from use: example% rem_drv sd Example 2: Removing a Diskless Client The following example removes the driver from the sun1 diskless client. The driver is not uninstalled or unloaded until the client machine is rebooted. example% rem_drv -b /export/root/sun1 sd Note the caveat on the use of the -b option in the description of that option, above. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ add_drv(1M), kernel(1M), update_drv(1M), attributes(5), devfs(7FS) 6 Apr 2005 rem_drv(1M)