Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting fields from lines with multiple spaces Post 302553156 by yazu on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 12:46:45 AM
Old 09-07-2011
Quote:
. how to ignore multi spaces? If tab exists in the spaces, how to ignore it ?
Smilie You asked about ignoring and not about preserving spaces and tabs.
Use sed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting the top two lines, and also charachters below.

Hey all. I have a file that I am trying to cut information out of. We have a script that shows us all of our Radio Scanners that are being used and I'm writing a script that clears all of the context off of the scanners. The script that runs shows us this information below... |emp_id ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help cutting a couple of fields from log file.

Data begins as such; Mar 16 03:27:05 afzpimdn01 named: denied update from .3983 for "nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa" IN Mar 16 03:27:37 afzpimdn01 named: denied update from .4844 for "nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa" IN Mar 16 03:27:56 afzpimdn01 named: denied update from .2650 for "nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa" IN ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: altamaha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting fields and doing trim in awk

hi, I have this code: #!/usr/bin/ksh #SERVICES gzcat *SERVICES* | awk ' { SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=substr($0,1,20) SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=trim(SUBSCRIBERNUMBER) SERVICECODE=substr($0,22,61) SERVICECODE=trim(SERVICECODE) STARTDD=substr($0,63,72) STARTDD=trim(STARTDD) STARTDT=substr($0,74,81)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naoseionome
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

join on a file with multiple lines, fields

I've looked at the join command which is able to perform what I need on two rows with a common field, however if I have more than two rows I need to join all of them. Thus I have one file with multiple rows to be joined on an index number: 1 randomtext1 2 rtext2 2 rtext3 3 rtext4 3 rtext5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimper
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

6. AIX

missing blank spaces while cutting the file to individual files

$ indicates blank space file1.txt: 001_AHaris$$$$$020$$$$$$$$$ 001_ATony$$$$$$030$$$$$$$$$ 002_AChris$$$$$090$$$$$$$$$ 002_ASmit$$$$$$060$$$$$$$$$ 003_AJhon$$$$$$001$$$$$$$$$ $ indicates blank space code while read "LINE"; do echo "$LINE" | cut -c6- >> $(echo "$LINE" | cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script too many fields wraps to multiple lines

Hello. I'm trying to write a script to take a 5 field file, do some math, and extend it to 9 fields. Problem is, the script keeps wrapping it to two lines, even tho 9 fields, tab separated (even comma separated) doesn't fill the screen. Even if it did, I'm eventually copying it to an excel ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeNess
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a quote in some lines with multiple quote fields

i want to replace mistaken quotes in line starting with tag 300 and relocate the quote in the correct position so the input is 223;25 224;20100428064823;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;8;1;3;9697;18744;;;;;;;;;;;; 300;X;Event:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wradwan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting multiple columns into multiple files

Hypothetically, suppose that file1 id v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7..........v100 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 2 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 3 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 4 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 5 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 I want to write a loop such that I take the id# and the first 5 columns (v1-v5) into the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)