Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting fields from lines with multiple spaces Post 302553137 by 915086731 on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 11:12:01 PM
Old 09-07-2011
Cutting fields from lines with multiple spaces

Please see the following code, between "status" and "OK" exists many spaces, I want to get
Code:
status                        OK

. how to ignore multi spaces? If tab exists in the spaces, how to ignore it ?
Is there other commands can replace cut?
Code:
[river@localhost CLI008003]$ echo 'drv status                        OK'| cut -d " " -f 2-3
status 
[river@localhost CLI008003]$ echo 'drv status                        OK'| cut -d " " -f 2-
status                        OK
[river@localhost CLI008003]$ echo 'drv status                        OK'| cut -d " " -f 3

[river@localhost CLI008003]$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting the top two lines, and also charachters below.

Hey all. I have a file that I am trying to cut information out of. We have a script that shows us all of our Radio Scanners that are being used and I'm writing a script that clears all of the context off of the scanners. The script that runs shows us this information below... |emp_id ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help cutting a couple of fields from log file.

Data begins as such; Mar 16 03:27:05 afzpimdn01 named: denied update from .3983 for "nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa" IN Mar 16 03:27:37 afzpimdn01 named: denied update from .4844 for "nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa" IN Mar 16 03:27:56 afzpimdn01 named: denied update from .2650 for "nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa" IN ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: altamaha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting fields and doing trim in awk

hi, I have this code: #!/usr/bin/ksh #SERVICES gzcat *SERVICES* | awk ' { SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=substr($0,1,20) SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=trim(SUBSCRIBERNUMBER) SERVICECODE=substr($0,22,61) SERVICECODE=trim(SERVICECODE) STARTDD=substr($0,63,72) STARTDD=trim(STARTDD) STARTDT=substr($0,74,81)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naoseionome
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

join on a file with multiple lines, fields

I've looked at the join command which is able to perform what I need on two rows with a common field, however if I have more than two rows I need to join all of them. Thus I have one file with multiple rows to be joined on an index number: 1 randomtext1 2 rtext2 2 rtext3 3 rtext4 3 rtext5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimper
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

6. AIX

missing blank spaces while cutting the file to individual files

$ indicates blank space file1.txt: 001_AHaris$$$$$020$$$$$$$$$ 001_ATony$$$$$$030$$$$$$$$$ 002_AChris$$$$$090$$$$$$$$$ 002_ASmit$$$$$$060$$$$$$$$$ 003_AJhon$$$$$$001$$$$$$$$$ $ indicates blank space code while read "LINE"; do echo "$LINE" | cut -c6- >> $(echo "$LINE" | cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script too many fields wraps to multiple lines

Hello. I'm trying to write a script to take a 5 field file, do some math, and extend it to 9 fields. Problem is, the script keeps wrapping it to two lines, even tho 9 fields, tab separated (even comma separated) doesn't fill the screen. Even if it did, I'm eventually copying it to an excel ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeNess
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a quote in some lines with multiple quote fields

i want to replace mistaken quotes in line starting with tag 300 and relocate the quote in the correct position so the input is 223;25 224;20100428064823;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;8;1;3;9697;18744;;;;;;;;;;;; 300;X;Event:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wradwan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting multiple columns into multiple files

Hypothetically, suppose that file1 id v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7..........v100 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 2 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 3 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 4 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 5 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 .....50 I want to write a loop such that I take the id# and the first 5 columns (v1-v5) into the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)