Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bourne shell script error on line containing declare... Post 302553128 by wilsonee on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 10:47:51 PM
Old 09-06-2011
bourne shell script error on line containing declare...

Hi,

Get the following error when running a shell script with following statement.

Syntax error
at line 150 : `(' is not expected

150: declare -a VPO_SEV=(Normal Warning Minor Major Critical)

it runs fine using bash, so I guess the script should be using bash but is there a way to write the declare above using bourne shell? or am I forced to to use bash?
what options would I have if I didn't have bash on the system trying to run the script.

Thanks in advance.

Wilson.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bourne shell script need help please ?

i have this assignment.. and i mad this script but there is something wrong with it.. if anyone can tell me.. watz going on... i would appreciate it.. tHnX in advance.. count=1 val=$2 op=$1 ans=0 if then if then while do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezithug
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne shell script

Hi all, Can somebody answer the following query Thanks, Srinivas A shell program that takes one or any number of file directory names as input; sorts the directories given as parameters jointly in the ascending or decending order of choice For EX : dips abc etc desc will sort the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psrinivas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd from a Bourne Shell Script - Please Help

Dear Bourne Shell Expert, I am trying to change the current working directory from within a Bourne Shell script. Simply enough i thought ! As I am sure you are well aware, Inside the script i echo `pwd` and it seems ok, but the shell spawns another shell to execute this and as such, when my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fawqati
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to declare global variables for shell script

Hi, I do have some variables accessed in more than one script. I want to have those variables in a command file anduse them. Something like a header file that we use in C programs. I dont want to set them as environment variables. Is there any other option, like header file in scripting ?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell: Hiding error messages

I am executing commands as follows in Bourne shell script. Filenames/directory names for the deletion/copying are unknown: rm * rmdir <directory> cp -p * <directory> Sometimes when no file or directory exists, error is encountered. This has no impact or whatever issue to my script but it's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: totziens
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell Script that only takes command line arguments

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaira
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne shell script

Attempting to write a script to eventually notify me via email for when there is packetloss across the backbone. I am looking for values greater than 0% in the mtr field. #!/bin/sh target=www.google.com date +"%D"_"%T" >> /home/rich/mtr.log echo "----------------------------------------" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: closedown
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Dynamic Variable Error

hi, I am trying to assign a value through 'read' and all works well until I have a space in the in putted value, for the life of me I cant figure out how to escape this. :wall: Any ideas? #!/bin/sh ask_question() { question_text="${1}"; question_answer=""; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redback
2 Replies
PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)					      General Commands Manual					     PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
pct-scanner-script - easy scan and create merged DjVu and PDF documents for archiving SYNOPSIS
pct-scanner-script [--help] DESCRIPTION
pct-scanner-script is a bash script and configuration system to easily scan documents and create a digital archiving. It can create DjVu PDF and JPEG outputs, in merged and individual files. It also has a configuration system where different configurations can be defined, making it easy to switch between configurations. Please use pct-scanner-script --help to find all program options, the complete help, and all examples. Features: - auto archiving in merged and individual DjVu, PDF, and JPEG files - auto and manual resume when scanning somehow fails - cascading configuration system, for easy customizing - easy command-line-style bash program, with useful options - archiving made possible with both adf and flatbed scanners - built for productivity and daily use - uses bash, scanadf and other mainstream processing tools - multilanguage commandline output OPTIONS
-h, --help, -? Show summary of options, help, and examples. DEBUGGING
This program is a helper script to easy scan and automated digital document archiving for normal and adf scanners. You can debug this script by running it as bash -x pct-scanner-script [options]. The script is just a nice wrapper for the scanadf, DjVu and PDF tools. SEE ALSO
scanadf(1), AUTHOR
pct-scanner-script and this manual page are written by: Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>. March 31, 2009 PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)