Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove console messages of background programs Post 302553113 by yazu on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 08:56:23 PM
Old 09-06-2011
For bash and zsh this works:
Code:
(xterm &>/dev/null &)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console output messages

could someone please tell me how to stop error messages being displayed to the console port. Currently, error messages are streaming to the console and I ant do anything. many thanks..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boristhespider
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disable background messages

Hi!!, is there any way to stop background processes from writting onto the terminal window?? I have opened a session into a server1. From this server1, I rlogin to Server2. Now all the "wall" messages of server1 are appearing on myscreen. Any way to stop "wall" messages coming from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to set background colours for a cygwin console

Hi, I need to set the background colors for cygwin console, when I do ssh to production boxes. This should be done through commands.. Please suggest me asap. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing messages on the screen when background process is going on!

hello all, In my script i have written some messages which should come in screen while some background process is going on.. Like for example: if i want to add 2 numbers a and b ...when the addition is going on in the background i should get "ADDING TWO NUMBERS>>PLEASE WAIT " message on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Script still running in background

HI I have by mistaken delete my script but its still running in background and giving me output and cretaed ..nfsB5DC2 file. I have kill all my prosses still it running.... How can i stop this script. i have unix solaris systems. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates, tried several programs not working

Hi all I tried to remove duplicates using all code mentione dbelow but its not wroking it's seems busy please check it sort -u filename.txt perl -lne 'chomp; if(!defined $x{$_}){$x{$_}=1;print}' inputfile out of attached files log file(input) log2file(output) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print warning messages on console when we use exec command?

I am having script in which for logging I am using exec command. I am calling another script/program through this script which is designed for another user id. So, After running script it is giving warning message as "This program has been designed for another user id. Please press Enter to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the messages from the script to console in Linux?

msg.sh #!/bin/bash if then echo "starting service" else echo " service not started" echo " Please check the start.sh file or manuly start the service" fi if i login with root credentials @12.36.34.123 with passwd username:root passwd:abc once i login into linux pc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
RESIZE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)