Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: add PATH as root
Operating Systems Solaris add PATH as root Post 302553096 by steve701 on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 06:23:32 PM
Old 09-06-2011
add PATH as root

Sorry this maybe a dumb one, but I am root and want to add something to my PATH.

Is the right place to do it here:
/usr/dt/config/dtspcdenv ?

If so, after I add it, how do I source it? Neither
"source <file>" nor ". <file>" work.

How does the above file work... is there another place to put it?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add cc path

hello , when i am deploying a server software , i am getting this error: checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH can any body help , how to correct this. , i have shown my path statement. # echo $PATH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: definate
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How to add new paths to $PATH

Hi all, I downloaded a tarball of coreutils .... extracted only to find out that i had to build it... But when i executed ./configure, this is what i got checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11 checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.11 configure: autobuild project... GNU... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a path within unix root directory

I need to know whether nyfile/mypath exists on the file system in the root directory. How to do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add a path variable

Hi, I tried to add a path vairable export GPLOAD_CONNECT_STR= -U crm -h sdc-gp1-dev1 -d wmgpdev but it throws the below error -bash: export: `-U': not a valid identifier -bash: export: `-h': not a valid identifier -bash: export: `sdc-gp1-dev1': not a valid identifier -bash: export:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: burton
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

add path variable permanently

Hi, I have added the path variable as below export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burton
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add path to root user

I am trying to add path for root. In /etc directory there is no .bash_profile file it has only profile file can any one say how to add path for root user ? is it possible to add path in profile file for root user. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: elango963
18 Replies
ENVPATH(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       ENVPATH(1p)

NAME
envpath - Advanced operations on path variables SYNOPSIS
Run this script with the "-help" option for usage details. DESCRIPTION
Parses the command line, modifies the specified path variable(s), and execs the remaining arguments. There are two modes, simple and advanced: SIMPLE MODE Simple mode presents an alternative, platform-independent syntax for specifying paths wherein the path separator is "," and environment variables can be expanded with @NAME@. For example envpath PATH=@PATH@,/usr/ucb -- printenv PATH appends "/usr/ucb" to $PATH and execs printenv PATH. The "--" is optional. You can also specify prepending or appending by using "+=" or "=+" respectively: # place /usr/ucb at the front envpath PATH+=/usr/ucb -- printenv PATH # place /usr/ucb at the back envpath PATH=+/usr/ucb -- printenv PATH Simple mode requires only this script; it does not require Env::Path to be installed. ADVANCED MODE Advanced mode basically provides command-line access to the features of Env::Path (see), which must be installed. The "-E" flag selects the path variable to operate on and other flags specify operations on it. E.g. envpath -E MANPATH -A /tmp -R /usr/share/man -N -U -- man ... would take MANPATH, append /tmp to it, remove any references to "/usr/share/man", remove any dirs which don't exist ("-N") and remove redundant entries ("-U") before running man. The -Whence option allows patterns. Thus envpath -W "cat*" would find all programs on PATH which match cat*. CLEARCASE WINKINS
A big part of the motivation for this script was for use with ClearCase builds; iff you know or care about ClearCase read on. Typically, during builds (and not just with ClearCase), pathvars such as PATH, CLASSPATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be strictly controlled. One choice is to force static values of these into the environment during the build process, another is to simply require/expect users to set their paths appropriately. Each of these can lead to subtle build or runtime errors, however, and makes it hard for new users to get up to speed since their personal environment must be just so. Another common choice is to use only full pathnames within the Makefile, avoiding reliance on search paths at all. This is often the best way to go but can suppress ClearCase winkins. For example, say you're generating ascii files of some type with a binary executable you just built: $(INCDIR)/foo.h: $(BINDIR)/foomaker $(BINDIR)/foomaker ... The problem with this is that $(BINDIR) likely contains a platform part such as 'solaris' or 'hpux', which makes it impossible to wink in the foo.h file on other platforms even though it's ascii. This same thing could come up even with a standard pre-built utility that's in different places on different platforms; "yacc", for instance, is in /usr/bin on Linux and /usr/ccs/bin on Solaris. You could modify the path on the fly: $(INCDIR)/foo.h: $(BINDIR)/foomaker PATH=$(BINDIR)$(SEP)$$PATH foomaker ... but this suffers from the same problem: since $(BINDIR) and $PATH are expanded literally within the build script they'll suppress winkins. Here's a solution using envpath: $(INCDIR)/foo.h: $(BINDIR)/foomaker envpath PATH=@BINDIR@,@PATH@ foomaker ... This hides the evaluation of BINDIR and PATH such that clearmake never sees anything but the literals, thus clearing the field for winkins. Of course envpath is capable of doing more than this, but it's the original reason it was written. AUTHOR
David Boyce <dsbperl AT boyski.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000-2001 David Boyce. All rights reserved. This Perl program is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), "perldoc Env::Path" perl v5.10.1 2003-10-10 ENVPATH(1p)