Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) vi and special character removal Post 302552969 by smartino on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 08:33:59 AM
Old 09-06-2011
Unfortunately this dis not find the pattern I wanted to delete (the dollar sign $)...it said pattern not found.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Character SED/AWK removal

I have a script that produces an output containing '/.ssh'. I am trying to find a way of parsing only this data from a single line, without removing any other special characters contained within the output as a result of the parse. Any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raggedranger333
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of new line character in double quotes

Hi, Could you please help me in removal of newline chracter present in between the double quotes and replacing it with space. For example ... Every field is wrapped with double quotes with comma delimiter, so I need to travese from first double quote occerence to till second double... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

any savant ? using AWK/SED to remove newline character between two strings : conditional removal

I'd like to remove (do a pattern or precise replacement - this I can handle in SED using Regex ) ---AFTER THE 1ST Occurrence ( i.e. on the 2nd occurrence - from the 2nd to fourth occurance ) of a specific string : type 1 -- After the 1st occurrence of 1 string1 till the 1st occurrence of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sieger007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help with character removal

Hello I've got a string of text with a number in pence, e.g. 0.52p, I need to remove the 'p' so that it just reads 0.52 without of course removing all the other 'p' characters. Many thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk trailing character removal

Hi, The command - id | awk '{print $1}' - returns the following: uid=9028(luke) What do I need to further that awk so that I only have "luke", I want to set this as a variable. Thanks in advance, Lukas. P.S: I've come up with: USER1=`id | awk F'(' '{print $2}' | awk -F')' '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke222010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control m Character removal shell script

can anyone share script for how to remove control m character (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pw227j
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)