Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting move directories up one level Post 302552842 by faethon on Monday 5th of September 2011 10:57:50 PM
Old 09-05-2011
move directories up one level

hi , could you help me with shell scripting

in a shell script i have these commands
Code:
a=`ls -R $dir | grep ./ `
cp -R ./$a/* ./$output/

with the first command i have all the directories with the second command i want to copy them in a new directory something like this
Code:
old/old/insomnia/1.mp3
old/old/linux/insomnia/sd/2.avi
old/old/linux/insomnia/sd/3.avi

and the new directory tha the script will create is
Code:
new/insomnia/1.mp3
new/sd/2.avi
new/sd/3.avi

thanks in advance !!!

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-06-2011 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

help in changing the access level for directories

Hi all, can some one help me in chmod command, and let me know the various combinations for this command. for : eg chmod -R 777 <dir names> this gives all rights to all but i want the specific access levels kindly help me out in this issue. Thank you, lakshmanan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananl
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie needing help with upper level directories

What is the purpose (function) of the following upper level directories: - /bin /dev /etc /home /mnt /media /sbin /tmp /var I have encountered these, but as i said, i am new to unix and i am not quite sure what they are and what their fucntions are. Any help would be greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move a subfolder to one upper level

Hi, all: My folder structure is like: What I'm expecting to realize is to have my folders look like: How to realize it? Cheers Pei (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Move Files up One Level

Hi All, So I have another question. I'm trying to search for files with a certain extension and then move all of them up one level in the folder hierarchy. So something like this: original: /path/to/file/test.txt after: /path/to/test.txt I had some great help recently with another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using tar to move directories

I have figured out how to create a tar file that holds all the files in a particular directory. The plan is to move the tar to a new system via FTP so that we can test the new system with our files and libraries. What I can't figure out is how to unzip the tar file; I keep getting messages that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move all files one directory level up

I want to move all the files in a given directory up one level. For example: Dir1 Subdir1 I want to move all the files in Subdir1 up to Dir1 (then I want to ultimately delete Subdir1) Thanks, Ted (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftrobaugh
10 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)