Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter files by exact line anywhere in file Post 302552753 by apmcd47 on Monday 5th of September 2011 11:44:25 AM
Old 09-05-2011
Take your pick:
PHP Code:
fgrep --f L2 L1 L3
fgrep 
--f L2 L1 L3 

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing o an exact line in a file

I want to access exact line in a file (sh script) for example I have a variable input and I want to access input.th line in file. for example line 5 or 7. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walnut
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I filter for a specific line in a file?

It seems like it should be very simple to have a command like grep return a specific line from a file but I can't find anything in the man pages to make grep search by line. I've looked in cat as well. Anyone know how to return a single line from a file? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelitini
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file to get data in exact line by line

I have my data something like this SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE NETPROTOCOL 1947430693 07/01/2009 05:16:40 FR SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE NETPROTOCOL 1947430746 07/01/2009 05:18:05 FR I want the output as follows.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter only comments while reading a file including line break characters.

How do I filter only comments and still keep Line breaks at the end of the line!? This is one of the common tasks we all do,, How can we do this in a right way..!? I try to ignore empty lines and commented lines using following approach. test.sh # \040 --> SPACE character octal... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line with the exact same number

Hello All, What i am doing is , i tail a file from certain chatacter and then cat -n to get the line numbers.I search for a particular string and gets it line number. What i am interested in is the next line immediately after the pattern i search. But grep gives me result for all line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]filter with line number in file

dear all about my last question in fileA.txt (all list line i want to find in fileB.txt) is content of line number fileA.txt 23 34 35 55 59 and fileB.txt is content like 24:asd|ekkk|001|001 123:bca|egsd|210|002 1231:cas|egds|322|231 ... in fileB.txt they have line number like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete the exact match line from file

Hello All, I have following line and text file line =08 * * 3 /data/reports/bin/xyz.ksh -o customreports.com -f abc.sql -m xyz.com -c -g file:- abc.crontab 08 * * 3 /data/reports/bin/xyz.ksh -o customreports.com -f abc.sql -m xyz.com -c -g 06 * * 3 /data/reports/bin/xyz.ksh -o... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anyera
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo exact xml tag from an exact file

Im stumped on this one. Id like to echo into a .txt file all names for an xml feed in a huge folder. Can that be done?? Id need to echo <name>This name</name> in client.xml files. $path="/mnt/windows/path" echo 'recording names' cd "$path" for names in $path than Im stuck on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: graphicsman
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line in exact place

I have one big XML file which contains information about 100 jobs,"JOB JOBISN=" indicates that is a job so where ever tag starts with "JOB JOBISN=" then i need to add below highlighted line between "<INCOND NAME" and "<OUTCOND NAME" for all jobs.like this i want to add below highlighted line for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
7 Replies