Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output of echo $$ differs in Script than console Post 302552601 by alister on Monday 5th of September 2011 12:49:37 AM
Old 09-05-2011
From that wikipedia link:
Quote:
In Unix-like operating systems the current process ID is provided by a getpid() system call, or as a variable $$ in shell.
That $$ statement is incorrect, though a common misconception. In a subshell the value of $$ is not the pid of the subshell, but that of an ancestor. $$ only actually reflect's the process pid when in an invoked shell's execution environment.

Take the following command:

Code:
echo $$ $(echo $$; sh -c 'echo $$')

The first $$ will match the invoked, top-level shell's pid. The second $$ is executed in a subshell whose pid is not $$, since $$ is still that of the parent, top-level (invoked) shell. The third $$ differs from the first two since it is printed from an invoked shell which sets $$ to its own pid.

If the top-level invoked shell has a pid of 10000, and the subshell created for the command subsitution is 10001, and the shell invoked from within the subshell (sh -c ...) is 10002, the output from this command would be "10000 10000 10002".

pid 10000 --> $$ 10000 (invoked shell)
pid 10001 --> $$ 10000 (subshell, pid-$$ mismatch)
pid 10002 --> $$ 10002 (invoked shell)

Personally, I don't conceive of $$ as being as much about current pid as about the current, invoked shell whose execution environment is currently in charge and propagating to subshells.

In actuality, $$ could be a pid, a parent pid (subshell), a grandparent's pid (subshell within a subshell) ...

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

gcc output size differs on same version of solaris

Hello everybody, I am having two machines. I am using g++v2.95 When I do the build,the size of output file on both machines differ. I am not able to find what can be the problem. Both the machines are solaris 5.6 The command is : g++ -c -g -I./ -I../../../include -I/usr/local/include/g++-3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manishs13
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing to a file without echo it to the console !!!!

hi all, I am trying to write some message to a file using the following command. echo "${MESSAGE}" >&1 | tee -a ${File_name} can the same be done without using echo . I don't want the result to be displayed to the console. Can anyone guide me. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script execution differs in cron

I have the following script (MyScript): #!/bin/sh ps U erv | grep -v grep | grep -F "/usr/bin/collect -o 101" echo "Result: $?" When executed from the command line, I get ... (the line containing /usr/bin/collect -o 101) Result: 0 (which is correct since collect is running) When I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost_neko
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing new log file & echo the string on console

Guys, I do have a script that runs to take the server out from network, after running the script it is writing the new log file{outFile} in to directory . Now what i need is my script should tail the last modified file{outFile} & search the string {Server Status} ans should echo the same at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me? $ cat p1.sh #!/bin/sh `./c1.sh &` while # indefinite loop do x=5; done $ cat c1.sh # sleep for 10 sec and exit #!/bin/sh sleep 10; Execute P1 as ./p1 & $ ps -eaf | grep c1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
1 Replies

7. Solaris

No Console Output

Hey everyone I have a sparc enterprise T2000 I'm trying to install solaris 10 on. The only way I can connect to it is the SER MGT console, but I'm not getting anything to display (in Hyper terminal, or PUTTY) when I boot it. Upon googleing, all I get back is "No output may have been generated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output differs when run manually and when cron job executes it

I get a different output when i manually run the .sh script and when it is run by a cron job. Please help me .. TMP1="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t1" TMP2="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t2" TMP3="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t3" OUTPUT="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.out"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithinankam
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo output of a UNIX command (like ls -l ) using shell script.?

How do i echo the output of a unix command using shell script??? Like: echo /etc/ ls -l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny2802
2 Replies
setpgid(3)						     Library Functions Manual							setpgid(3)

Name
       setpgid - set process group (POSIX)

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       int
       setpgid(pid, pgrp)
       pid_t pid, pgrp;

Description
       The  function is used to either join an existing process group or create a new process group within the session of the calling process (see
       Upon successful completion, the process group ID of the process that has a process ID which matches pid is set to pgrp.	If  pid  is  zero,
       then the call applies to the current process. In addition, if pgrp is zero, the process ID of the indicated process is used.

This function is available only in the POSIX environment.

Return Values
       The  function  returns 0 when the operation is successful.  If the request fails, -1 is returned and the global variable indicates the rea-
       son.

Diagnostics
       The function fails and the process group is not altered if one of the following occurs:

[EACCES]       The value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and  the  child  process  has
		      successfully executed an function.

[EINVAL]       The value of the pgrp argument is less than zero or is not a supported value.

[EPERM]	      The process indicated by the pid argument is a session leader.

The  value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process and the child process is not
		      in the same session as the calling process.

The value of the pgrp argument does not match the process ID of the process indicated by the pid argument and  there  is	no
		      process with a process group ID that matches the value of the pgrp argument in the same session as the calling process.

[ESRCH]	      The  value  of  the  pid	argument  does	not  match the process ID of the calling process of a child process of the calling
		      process.

See Also
       getpgrp(2), setsid(2)

setpgid(3)