Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output of echo $$ differs in Script than console Post 302552597 by yazu on Sunday 4th of September 2011 11:56:37 PM
Old 09-05-2011
Well, from the name 'pid.sh' I hope you know what is $$ for. But executing a shell script your shell invokes another, child shell. And this shell is just another process. And if your start another terminal you get a different $$. Or if you just execute sh (or bash, or ksh) you get a different $$ too because all these shell would be different processes.
If you have troubles with understanding "pid" you can read more here - Process identifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

gcc output size differs on same version of solaris

Hello everybody, I am having two machines. I am using g++v2.95 When I do the build,the size of output file on both machines differ. I am not able to find what can be the problem. Both the machines are solaris 5.6 The command is : g++ -c -g -I./ -I../../../include -I/usr/local/include/g++-3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manishs13
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing to a file without echo it to the console !!!!

hi all, I am trying to write some message to a file using the following command. echo "${MESSAGE}" >&1 | tee -a ${File_name} can the same be done without using echo . I don't want the result to be displayed to the console. Can anyone guide me. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script execution differs in cron

I have the following script (MyScript): #!/bin/sh ps U erv | grep -v grep | grep -F "/usr/bin/collect -o 101" echo "Result: $?" When executed from the command line, I get ... (the line containing /usr/bin/collect -o 101) Result: 0 (which is correct since collect is running) When I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost_neko
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing new log file & echo the string on console

Guys, I do have a script that runs to take the server out from network, after running the script it is writing the new log file{outFile} in to directory . Now what i need is my script should tail the last modified file{outFile} & search the string {Server Status} ans should echo the same at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me? $ cat p1.sh #!/bin/sh `./c1.sh &` while # indefinite loop do x=5; done $ cat c1.sh # sleep for 10 sec and exit #!/bin/sh sleep 10; Execute P1 as ./p1 & $ ps -eaf | grep c1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
1 Replies

7. Solaris

No Console Output

Hey everyone I have a sparc enterprise T2000 I'm trying to install solaris 10 on. The only way I can connect to it is the SER MGT console, but I'm not getting anything to display (in Hyper terminal, or PUTTY) when I boot it. Upon googleing, all I get back is "No output may have been generated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect an output from a script to a file and display it at a console simultaneously

Hi, I'd like to redirect the STDOUT output from my script to a file and simultaneously display it at a console. I've tried this command: myscript.sh | tail -f However, it doesn't end after the script finishes running I've also tried this: myscript.sh | tee ~/results.txt But it writes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output differs when run manually and when cron job executes it

I get a different output when i manually run the .sh script and when it is run by a cron job. Please help me .. TMP1="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t1" TMP2="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t2" TMP3="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t3" OUTPUT="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.out"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithinankam
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo output of a UNIX command (like ls -l ) using shell script.?

How do i echo the output of a unix command using shell script??? Like: echo /etc/ ls -l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny2802
2 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)