Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace 2nd column of CSV file with numbers on line Post 302552539 by danmero on Sunday 4th of September 2011 09:28:31 AM
Old 09-04-2011
Ops, first answer was wrong Smilie
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","}{x=split($2,a," ");for(i=0;++i<=x;){$2=a[i];print}}'  file

This User Gave Thanks to danmero For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed from csv file column

Hi All, My requirement is to remove line (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed from csv file column

Hi All, i have a csv file . In the 7th column i have data that has line feed in it. Requirement is to remove the line feed from the 7th column whenever it appears There are 11 columns in the file C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10,C11 The value in C7 contains line feed ( Alt + Enter ),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 2nd column for each line in a csv file with fixed string+random number

Hi experts, My csv file looks like this U;cake;michael;temp;;;; U;bread;john;temp;;;; U;cocktails;sarah;temp;;;; I'd like to change the value fo 2nd column to cf+random number , which will look maybe something like this U;cf20187;michael;temp;;;; U;cf8926;john;temp;;;;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1st column,2nd column on first line 3rd,4th on second line ect...

I need to take one column of data and put it into the following format: 1st line,2nd line 3rd line,4th line 5th line,6th line ... Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: batcho
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on line numbers and first column value

Hi All I have one query,say i have a requirement like the below code should be move to diffent files whose maximum lines can be of 10 lines.Say in the below example,it consist of 14 lines. This should be moved logically using the data in the fisrt coloumn to file1 and file 2.The data of first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarav.shan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 2nd column in file

I have following entries file abc.txt abc83.out.remote TRUE abc84.out.remote TRUE abc85.out.remote TRUE abc86.out.remote TRUE Please help me, how do i toggle the entries listed in 2nd column based on the search patterns (abcxx) abcxx, i can get... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV file REPLACE COLUMN if it matches

I have a file cat 1.txt AAAA , BBBB , CCCC , DDDD DFDF , DFDF , DFDF , FDDD AA11 , DFDF , 0000 , UTIO ADSD , WERT, 0000 , JKJL If the 3rd column is not equal to "0000" , then it should replace "0000" with "XXXX" and if its equal to "0000" then print the line as it is. need help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column with New Line in CSV file

Hello, Got a CSV file which contains 21 columns Need to convert the file to Pipe delimiter and Few columns text data contains new line Example 1,2,3,"ABC" 8" ABC,5,6,7 1,2,3,"ABC" 8" ABC,5,6,7 ( New Line) 1,2,3,""ABC" 8" ABC", 5,6,7 1,2,3,"ABC" ,5,6,7(New line) Expected... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk to replace numbers in a file with a column from another file

Hello, I am trying to make a awk code that will take 2 files, a txt file like this : 1 1 88 c(1:38, 42, 102) 2 2 128 c(39:41, 43:101, 103:105, 153, 155:189, 292, 344:369) 3 3 84 c(190:249, 603, 606:607, 609:629) 4 4 12 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nastaziales
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare 1st column from 2 file and if match print line from 1st file and append column 7 from 2nd

hi I have 2 file with more than 10 columns for both 1st file apple,0,0,0...... orange,1,2,3..... mango,2,4,5..... 2nd file apple,2,3,4,5,6,7... orange,2,3,4,5,6,8... watermerlon,2,3,4,5,6,abc... mango,5,6,7,4,6,def.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tententen
1 Replies
makedbm(8yp)															      makedbm(8yp)

Name
       makedbm - make a yellow pages dbm file

Syntax
       makedbm [ -i yp_input_file ] [ -o yp_output_name ] [ -d yp_domain_name ] [ -m yp_master_name ] infile outfile
       makedbm [ -u dbmfilename ]

Description
       The command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a pair of files in format, namely and Each line of the input
       file is converted to a single record.  All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the
       key's  associated data.	If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line.	It is left for the
       clients of the yellow pages to interpret the number sign (#); does not treat it as a comment character.	The  infile  parameter	can  be  a
       hyphen (-), in which case reads the standard input.

The  command  is  meant	to  be	used in generating files for the yellow pages service.	The command generates a special entry with the key
       yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile.

Options
       -i     Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file.

-o     Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name.

-d     Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name.

-m     Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name.  If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name will be set  to	the  local
	      host name.

-u     Undo a file.  That is, print out a file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values.

Examples
       The  following  example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the yellow pages files and from the file.  The percent sign
       (%) signifies the system prompt.

% awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = ""; }
	{ print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp
       % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname
       % rm ptmp

The command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by The command uses the ptmp file to create the yellow pages dbm files and  The
       command removes the ptmp file.

See Also
       yppasswd(1yp), dbm(3x), ypmake(8yp)

makedbm(8yp)