Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Thinking of career change to software development Post 302552521 by yazu on Sunday 4th of September 2011 07:59:31 AM
Old 09-04-2011
No any 5-10 day courses make you a good software developer. 5-10 years of practice and learning maybe do. If you want to work in a software company you need a degree. If you want to work as a freelancer then not (but may help). For Web Development learn PHP and Javascript (and HTML5+CSS, and SQL+noSQL). To become a really good programmer learn C (C++ ?), Python, and some marginal languages - Lisp/Scheme or Erlang or Scala are good choices. Don't waste time for .NET and C#, but knowing of Java and Java infrastructure may help to have a piece of bread (though I don't know as long). Participating in open source projects is a great thing for getting real programming skills.

Everything is IMO, of course. (I have a degree but I didn't work long enough as a programmer. Now I'm trying to work as a freelancer, get a little but not quite satisfied - too little practice, and as you can see my English is not good enough too).

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career Change

Hi, all! I'm a 37 year-old Electrical Engineer with a BSEE and 12 years of experience. I was laid off last week, and have been considering a career change (I've had enough of electrical design). I've used computers for the past 20 years as a hobby (building computers, playing games,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Snapster
5 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path/Change - Cert Help

This is a very serious post. I am a Cell Technician (Cellular Base Station Tech) who is completely bored because my job has basically evolved into a Field Secretary position. I love working on T1's and troubleshooting equipment outages and so on and so forth but my job has become VERY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoopDeVille
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Change hostid for software install - license issue

Hi all. Solaris 9. After I change the hostid, how can I change it back without rebooting the machine? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Which OS is better for software development ?

Big noob in everything, so I want know from more experienced users and programmers what they think which OS is better for system development? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies
oarresume(1)							   OAR commands 						      oarresume(1)

NAME
oarresume - resume a job in OAR batch scheduler. SYNOPSIS
oarresume [--array][job_ids][--sql "sql syntax"][-V][-h] DESCRIPTION
Ask OAR to change job_ids states into Waiting when it is Hold or in Running if it is Suspended. OPTIONS
--array Resume array job(s) passed as parameter (all the sub-jobs of the given array job(s)) --sql Resume jobs which repond to the SQL where clause on the table jobs (ex: "project = 'p1'") -V, --version Print OAR version number. -h, --help Print help command message. oarsub(1), oardel(1) oarstat(1), oarnodes(1), oarhold(1) COPYRIGHTS
Copyright 2008 Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble (http://www.liglab.fr). This software is licensed under the GNU Library General Public License. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. oarresume 2012-05-23 oarresume(1)