Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Thinking of career change to software development Post 302552451 by frustrated1 on Saturday 3rd of September 2011 01:46:04 PM
Old 09-03-2011
Thinking of career change to software development

I'm currently administering applications and unix OS.
Have no IT degree, learned on the job over last 6-7 years.
Have good shell scripting skills, basic perl, know some apache, mysql, sql etc.
I enjoy scripting, setting up scripts to use in conjunction with databases and apache etc. I think this is the type of area I want to move to next.

Long term, I want to move to software development and I am looking on how I should approach this in the next 6-12 months.

I dont have massive amount of cash stored away to go to night college for an IT degree, I certainly dont want to waste money on a degree that wont be beneficial to me long term. Have some questions if anyone can give advice...

1. Is obtaining IT degree worth the large investment versus individual courses and experience?
I would have done many 5 day courses over the year in shell scripting, oracle, solaris, unix administration, linux along with many application specific courses and I have worked in a support team for over 6 years
Would working towards degree be better than looking for some more 5-10 day courses that focus on software development and accreditation from these courses ?

2. Any particular areas of software development that you would recommend?
ie. Perl, C++, web, html, php etc (maybe many others that I dont even know of)

Any advice at all is appreciated.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career Change

Hi, all! I'm a 37 year-old Electrical Engineer with a BSEE and 12 years of experience. I was laid off last week, and have been considering a career change (I've had enough of electrical design). I've used computers for the past 20 years as a hobby (building computers, playing games,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Snapster
5 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path/Change - Cert Help

This is a very serious post. I am a Cell Technician (Cellular Base Station Tech) who is completely bored because my job has basically evolved into a Field Secretary position. I love working on T1's and troubleshooting equipment outages and so on and so forth but my job has become VERY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoopDeVille
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Change hostid for software install - license issue

Hi all. Solaris 9. After I change the hostid, how can I change it back without rebooting the machine? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Which OS is better for software development ?

Big noob in everything, so I want know from more experienced users and programmers what they think which OS is better for system development? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies
cvm-sql(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						cvm-sql(7)

NAME
cvm-sql - CVM SQL Framework QUERY SUBSTITUTION
$VAR and ${VAR} are replaced with the quoted value of the environment variable named VAR. Use the second form when VAR contains anything other than alpha-numeric or underscore (_) characters. Do not include quotes in the query. The variables account and domain contain the account and domain names given by the CVM client. $$ is replaced with a single dollar sign. QUERY RESULTS
The query must produce the following fields exactly in order. All required fields must not be null or empty. 1. Password, encrypted with crypt(3) (required) 2. Actual account name (required) 3. User ID (integer) (required) 4. Group ID (integer) (required) 5. Directory (required) 6. Real name (optional) 7. Login shell (optional) 8. Group name (optional) 9. Domain name (optional) 10. System account name (optional) 11. System account directory (optional) 12. Mailbox path (optional) DEFAULT QUERY
SELECT password, username, userid, groupid, directory, realname, shell, groupname, domain, sys_username, sys_directory FROM accounts WHERE username=$account AND domain=$domain SEE ALSO
cvm-mysql(8), cvm-pgsql(8), cvm-pwfile(8), cvm-qmail(8), cvm-unix(8), cvm-vmailmgr(8), cvm-benchclient(8), cvm-checkpassword(8), cvm-test- client(8) http://untroubled.org/cvm/cvm.html cvm-sql(7)