Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with fork() on windows Post 302552302 by hansini on Friday 2nd of September 2011 09:47:17 AM
Old 09-02-2011
Need help with fork() on windows

Here is my sample perl program.
Code:
my $pid = fork();
if(! $pid )
{
      exec("perl sleep.pl 600");
} 
else
{
      print "PID ==== [$pid]\n";
      sleep 30;
      print "killing the PID [$pid] in 20 seconds\n";
      sleep 20;
      kill 9, $pid;
      print "Done ....\n"; 
}

The PID returns the pseudo process ID ( which is a negative number). When kill command sends 9 signal to the pseudo process ID, ( I assume the exec process ID falls under pseudo process ID) the exec process won't get killed.

Any help on how to kill the exec process on windows? I'm running this program on Windows XP.

Thanks In Advance
Hansini

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-02-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use function fork() in Windows NT

Hello, I need to make a gateway from Ethernet to RS-485. I am using stream socket, and I am programming in windows nt. I would like to know how could I use some functions from unix in windows nt. I would like to use the function fork(). Which library it uses and how can I get it? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danieljorge
1 Replies

2. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

3. Programming

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

5. Programming

Fork!

I understand that fork create a child but I need very simple example that make child useful.... I mean how will make the program faster anyone explain with code plz using C plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies
IO::Pipe(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     IO::Pipe(3pm)

NAME
IO::Pipe - supply object methods for pipes SYNOPSIS
use IO::Pipe; $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); if($pid = fork()) { # Parent $pipe->reader(); while(<$pipe>) { ... } } elsif(defined $pid) { # Child $pipe->writer(); print $pipe ... } or $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); $pipe->reader(qw(ls -l)); while(<$pipe>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
"IO::Pipe" provides an interface to creating pipes between processes. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [READER, WRITER] ) Creates an "IO::Pipe", which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "IO::Pipe::new" optionally takes two arguments, which should be objects blessed into "IO::Handle", or a subclass thereof. These two objects will be used for the system call to "pipe". If no arguments are given then method "handles" is called on the new "IO::Pipe" object. These two handles are held in the array part of the GLOB until either "reader" or "writer" is called. METHODS
reader ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the reading end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. writer ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the writing end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. handles () This method is called during construction by "IO::Pipe::new" on the newly created "IO::Pipe" object. It returns an array of two objects blessed into "IO::Pipe::End", or a subclass thereof. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 IO::Pipe(3pm)