Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting password file as std input to script Post 302552128 by DGPickett on Thursday 1st of September 2011 04:25:49 PM
Old 09-01-2011
You could write a setuid wrapper client that as root or an admin account can relate their local login to the file owned and only readable by the admin account. What sorts of clients do they use? Command line only, gui?

Sharing an id is not a good idea. Is there still authentication?

You could give them a web service, and the web server only would access the file.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect std out and std err to same file

Hi I want both standard output and standard error of my command cmd to go to the same file log.txt. please let me know the best commandline to do this. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
2 Replies

2. Programming

Sun Studio C++ - Getting error in linking std::ostream &std::ostream::operator<<(std:

Hello all Im using CC: Sun C++ 5.6 2004/07/15 and using the -library=stlport4 when linkning im getting The fallowing error : Undefined first referenced symbol in file std::ostream &std::ostream::operator<<(std::ios_base&(*)(std::ios_base&))... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PDKSH dual std input threads

Hi All, I'm trying to read from two files at the same time, but the second READ is failing, giving no value. Obvious STDIN is being used by the first "while read", so how can I retrieve a value from a second file within the loop ?? IFS=" ," cat $DATAFILE | while read curdate currentcksum... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianmarsh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to take input from file, match on it in file 2 and input data

All, I am trying to figure out a script to run in windows that will allow me to match on First column in file1 to 8th Column in File2 then Insert file1 column2 to file2 column4 then create a new file. File1: 12345 Sam 12346 Bob 12347 Bill File2:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darkoth
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read multiple lines from Std Input into an array

Hi All, Does anyone know how to read multiple lines from standard input into an array and then iterate a loop for all the lines read. Below is an example pseudocode: I need the below filenames to be read by the script into an array or something similar: And then in the script, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to input encrpyted password into htdigest (Apache)

Hey guys, This is my situation. I'm using the script to add a user account, however, i want the same details copied into the htdigest password list. the format is username:virtualservername:hashed/encrypted password. This is the command : sudo htdigest /etc/apache2/passwords... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxxx
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script password input

hy, I wrote a simple shell script to monitor (with Nagios) a SNX VPN function. Here the Code snippet: testing=`ssh user@IP-address 'ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0'` #echo $testing if ; then echo "VPN is working" exit 0 else snx -s server -u user ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomies
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input password to bash script, save, and enter when needed

I am looking for a way to start a script and have it prompt for a password that will be used later on in the script to SSH to another host and to SFTP. I don't want the password to be hard coded. Below is my script with the actual IP's and usernames removed. #!/usr/bin/expect -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help OS X script : password input

Hello Sorry for the question.. i would like to make a script for OS X that allow me to change the password for a user account. i have to use this script on several iMac with the same user/password. i want to store the passwords inside the script, no security problems involved. the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: araan87
9 Replies
krb5_auth_rules(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					krb5_auth_rules(5)

NAME
krb5_auth_rules - Overview of Kerberos V5 authorization DESCRIPTION
When a user uses kerberized versions of the ftp, rdist, rcp, rlogin, rsh, or telnet clients to connect to a server, even if the user's claimed Kerberos V5 identity is authenticated, the user is not necessarily authorized. Authentication merely proves that the user is "who he says he is" to the Kerberos V5 authentication system. Authorization also needs to be done, since it determines if that Kerberos identity is permitted to access the Solaris user account that the client wants to access. Each user may have a private authorization list in a file ~/.k5login in his login directory (on the server). Each line in this file should contain a Kerberos principal name of the form principal/instance@realm. If the server finds a ~/.k5login file, then access is granted to the account if and only if the originating user is authenticated to one of the principals named in the ~/.k5login file. If there is no ~/.k5login file, the originating user will then be checked against the gsscred table (see gsscred(1M)). If the originating user's Kerberos V5 identity is in the gsscred table, and if the UNIX user id in the gsscred table corresponds to the user account the client is trying access, then the originating user is granted access to the account on the server. If the UNIX user id does not match, then the originating user is denied access. For example, suppose the originating user has a principal name of jdb@ENG.ACME.COM and the target account is jdb-user. If jdb@ENG.ACME.COM appears in the gsscred table with uid 23154 and if jdb-user appears in the user account database (see passwd(4)) with uid 23154, then access to account jdb-user is granted. Of course, normally, the target account name in this example would be jdb and not jdb-user. Finally, if there is no ~/.k5login file and if the originating user's Kerberos V5 identity is not in the gsscred table, then the user will be granted access to the account if and only if all of the following are true: o The user part of the authenticated principal name is the same as the target account name specified by the client. o The realm part of the client and server are the same. o The target account name exists on the server. For example, if the originating user has a principal name of jdb@ENG.ACME.COM and if the server is in realm SALES.ACME.COM, then even if jdb is a valid account name on the server, the client would be denied access. This is because the realms SALES.ACME.COM and ENG.ACME.COM differ. FILES
~/.k5login Per user-account authorization file. /etc/passwd System account file. This information may also be in a directory service. See passwd(4). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), rcp(1), rdist(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), telnet(1), gsscred(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5), gss_auth_rules(5) NOTES
To avoid security problems, the ~/.k5login file must be owned by the remote user. SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 2004 krb5_auth_rules(5)