Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap which option is better
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Swap which option is better Post 302551995 by Corona688 on Thursday 1st of September 2011 10:04:07 AM
Old 09-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopper
got it

right now swap is in /dev/sda1
and / is /dev/sda2 same LUN from Storage.

so creating a file under / like /SwapFile is the same thing and safer as you say
sda1 and sda2 are on the same disk. You aren't gaining anything by putting it on sda1 vs sda2, just put it where you have lots of available space...
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About swap

Is it really so that if swap will be located in the begining of hard drive, than it will work faster? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ty3
1 Replies

2. Solaris

swap -l

When i try to type swap -l ,nothing come out but blinking. May i know what is the problem and solutions ? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farbegas
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

How much Swap is too much?

I have a HP-UX B.11.23 server with 16 gb of memory 84 gb of swap configured. I am being pushed to define more swap to try and get more Tuxedo domains to start. At what point do we have too much swap for the amount of memory? Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
11 Replies

6. Red Hat

swap not defined as swap

free -m : 1023 total swap space created default partition /dev/sdb1 50M using fdisk. i did write the changes. #mkswap /dev/sdb1 #swapon /dev/sdb1 free -m : 1078 total swap space this shows that the swap is on Question : i did not change the type LINUX SWAP (82) in fdisk. so why is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

recently introduced to the newer option for find...does an older option exist?

To find all the files in your home directory that have been edited in some way since the last tar file, use this command: find . -newer backup.tar.gz Is anyone familiar with an older solution? looking to identify files older then 15mins across several directories. thanks, manny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Unrecognized option: sparc-sun-Solaris2.10/bin/as: unrecognized option `-m32'

Hi, I installed some packages required by an app built with python. But when I try python setup.py install, I get the following error: /opt/csw/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/5.2.0/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.10/bin/as: unrecognized option `-m32' Could anyone tell me what's wrong... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimkun
4 Replies
partclone.restore(8)					      System Manager's Manual					      partclone.restore(8)

NAME
partclone.restore - The utility to restore an etx2/ext3 partition. SYNOPSIS
partclone.restore [options]... [MODE] [SOURCE FILE] [OUTPUT FILE] DESCRIPTION
partclone.restore is a part of Partclone project. Partclone is a project like the well-known backup utility "Partition Image" a.k.a par- timage. Partclone provide utilities to back up used blocks and design for higher compatibility of the file system using supported library like e2fslibs. OPTIONS
-o, --output FILE Output FILE -O --overwrite FILE Output FILE, overwriting if exists --restore_row_file create special raw file for loop device -s, --source FILE Source FILE -L, --logfile FILE Log FILE -dX, --debug=X Set the debug level to X = [0|1|2] -C, --no_check Don't check device size and free space -X, --dialog Output message as Dialog Format -I, --ignore_fschk Ignore filesystem check --ignore_crc Ignore crc check error -F, --force Force progress -f, --UI-fresh Fresh times of progress -m, --max_block_cache The used block will be cache until max number -q, --quiet Disable progress message -v, --version Display partclone version -h, --help Display this help Examples: restore /dev/hda1 from hda1.img and display debug information. partclone.restore -d -s hda1.img -o /dev/hda1 restore image from clonezilla(split, gzip,) with stdin source cat sda1.ext3-ptcl-img.gz.a* > gunzip -c | partclone.restore -d -s - -o /dev/sda1 restore raw image from partclone.dd partclone.dd -d -c -s /dev/sda1 -o - | partclone.restore -d -s - -o /dev/sdb1 REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <thomas@nchc.org.tw> SUPPORT
You can get support at http://partclone.org AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Tsai <thomas@nchc.org.tw> partclone 0.2.48 Nov 2007 partclone.restore(8)