Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Has anyone in this forum tried a hybrid HDD, is it worth? Post 302551722 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 31st of August 2011 11:20:54 AM
Old 08-31-2011
I'm familiar with SDD in a SAN environment. Not a laptop/PC.

If there are a lot of large "hot" files, specifically ones that are read all the time, then disk with an SDD buffer will improve read performance. One 15000 rpm SAS drive can post a max of ~200 iops. SDD can do 3000 iops. But this only works when the SDD already has the data you want to read.

If your apps write then immediately read the data SDD has just written, then SDD helps there as well. But then disks come with a large buffer cache anyway, SDD or not.

Bottom line: SDD helps when there is "smart use", i.e., maybe like MRU retention kinds of algorithms that databases use in shared memory. As a "dumb" buffer SDD helps, but I don't know the help it provides justifies the cost difference.

SAN software actively moves files into tier 1 (like SDD) based on observed historical demand. This REALLY helps performance.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hybrid CD-ROMs

Hello, Is there any way to create a hybrid CD-ROM on either a Windows or Solaris server to be able to mastered with a Windows mastering software like Roxio. Thanks, Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Please explain why ZFS is said to be a hybrid filesystem and a volume manager also

Hi guys! How come ZFS is said to be not just a filesystem but a hybrid filesystem and also a volume manager? Please explain. I will appreciate your replies. Hope you can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Klyde
1 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Private, Public and Hybrid Clouds

Hi all, Private, Public and Hybrid Clouds I'm now testing OpenStack; Home OpenStack Open Source Cloud Computing Software -Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) -Platform as a Service (PaaS) -Software as a Service (SaaS) It is an Open Source software. I'm interested to know whether... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
0 Replies

5. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

6. Programming

OpenMP and MPI hybrid thread numbers

hi, I have two basic questions, I will be really grateful if I receive any comment from you, I have an MPI code where I am trying to implement OpenMP directives. The machine where I run the code has 16 cores. I run the code with export OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 mpirun -np 4 ./exec If I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando_2011
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-suspend.service					SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service, systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service, systemd-sleep - System sleep state logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-suspend.service systemd-hibernate.service systemd-hybrid-sleep.service systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service /lib/systemd/system-sleep DESCRIPTION
systemd-suspend.service is a system service that is pulled in by suspend.target and is responsible for the actual system suspend. Similarly, systemd-hibernate.service is pulled in by hibernate.target to execute the actual hibernation. Finally, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service is pulled in by hybrid-sleep.target to execute hybrid hibernation with system suspend and pulled in by suspend-then-hibernate.target to execute system suspend with a timeout that will activate hibernate later. Immediately before entering system suspend and/or hibernation systemd-suspend.service (and the other mentioned units, respectively) will run all executables in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/ and pass two arguments to them. The first argument will be "pre", the second either "suspend", "hibernate", "hybrid-sleep", or "suspend-then-hibernate" depending on the chosen action. Immediately after leaving system suspend and/or hibernation the same executables are run, but the first argument is now "post". All executables in this directory are executed in parallel, and execution of the action is not continued until all executables have finished. Note that scripts or binaries dropped in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/ are intended for local use only and should be considered hacks. If applications want to react to system suspend/hibernation and resume, they should rather use the Inhibitor interface[1]. Note that systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, and systemd-hybrid-sleep.service systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service should never be executed directly. Instead, trigger system sleep states with a command such as "systemctl suspend" or similar. Internally, this service will echo a string like "mem" into /sys/power/state, to trigger the actual system suspend. What exactly is written where can be configured in the "[Sleep]" section of /etc/systemd/sleep.conf or a sleep.conf.d file. See systemd-sleep.conf(5). OPTIONS
systemd-sleep understands the following commands: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. suspend, hibernate, hybrid-sleep, suspend-then-hibernate Suspend, hibernate, suspend then hibernate, or put the system to hybrid sleep. SEE ALSO
systemd-sleep.conf(5), systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.special(7), systemd-halt.service(8) NOTES
1. Inhibitor interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit systemd 237 SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)