Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar-ing folders in a folder
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tar-ing folders in a folder Post 302551644 by HappyPhysicist on Wednesday 31st of August 2011 07:25:24 AM
Old 08-31-2011
tar script

Yazu,
Thank you for the suggestion. It works great. Is there a way to have the folders tarred with relative paths?

Here is the script I have so far:
Code:
for p in /FOCUS/rtp99/0/*; do                                                   
   pd=`basename "$p"`
   tar -C /FOCUS/rtp99/0 -czvf "$pd".tgz "$pd"
done

It would be great if I could set it so that when it untars it only untars the files with the relative directory. For instance if my patient folder is A1000156, if I untar it it becomes:

/FOCUS/rtp99/0/A1000156

The reason I want to do this is because I tar it from one directory and untar it in another. It is a way of moving files form one of our clinics to another. So when I try to untar it into say the "1" directory it becomes:

/FOCUS/rtp99/1/FOCUS/rtp99/1/A1000156

Maybe if I place the script itself in the /FOCUS/rtp99/0/ directory and take out the "-C /FOCUS/rtp99/0"?

Thanks!!

HP

Last edited by vbe; 08-31-2011 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: please use code tags when required (code and data)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar'ing and zipping files

If I have a directory /directory1 and want to tar and zip everything in it into a file new_tar.tar.gz on disk (not tape) How can I do it? I tried tar -cv /new_tar.tar /directory1/* But I got an error: tar: /dev/rmt/0: No such device or address (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar'ing and regular expressions

Hi, How do I tar all but a specific set of files in a directory? Is it possible to use regular expressions in the tar command? I want to tar all files except those beginning with D. I tried this tar -cvf files.tar ^ but this didn't work. Anyone any ideas. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing the correct directories

Hi all, my directory structure is as follows /a/b/c. I would like to tar the /a directory including the subdirectories b and c. i intend to use the command tar -cvfz a.tgz a/ My question is where do i execute the command? do i execute it at the '/' prompt or at '/a' prompt ? My concern at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Jar/Tar to a diffent folder/same folder w/ filename

Hi, I want to extract myfile.war to a folder which is in the same folder with war file.I did this as normal: jar -xvf myfile.war But it exploded all the content of file to the same level folder instead of that I was expecting to create a folder called myfile. This works with tar: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reis3k
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete other's folders which are in our own folder?

Hi All, I need a solution for the following scenario. I am the owner for the particular folder and I have given 777 permissions for some specific reasons. So others can able to create folders and files. But when I am done with the work, I need to delete the folders which are created by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_thorali
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through all folders in a folder.

I am trying to write a script that loops through all the folders within a given folder. My intention is to access each folder and rename each file ending with fna.gz with the name of the folder it resides in. #!/bin/bash cd /p/w/d/ for f in /p/w/d/*; do echo $f done I'm... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Keystrokes
13 Replies
SENDFILES(1)							     [nmh-1.5]							      SENDFILES(1)

NAME
sendfiles - send multiple files via a MIME message SYNOPSIS
sendfiles [delay] mailpath subject file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The shell script sendfiles, is used to send a collection of files and directories via electronic mail. sendfiles mailpath "subject" files ... sendfiles will archive the files and directories you name with the tar command, and then mail the compressed archive to the "mailpath" with the given "subject". The archive will be automatically split up into as many messages as necessary in order to get past most mailers. Sometimes you want sendfiles to pause after posting a partial message. This is usually the case when you are running sendmail and expect to generate a lot of partial messages. If the first argument given to sendfiles starts with a dash, then it is interpreted as the number of seconds to pause in between postings, e.g., sendfiles -30 mailpath "subject" files ... will pause 30 seconds in between each posting. Extracting the Received Files When these messages are received, invoke mhstore once for the list of messages. The default is for mhstore to store the combined parts as a new message in the current folder, although this can be changed using storage formatting strings. You can then use mhlist to find out what's inside; possibly followed by mhstore again to write the archive to a file where you can subsequently uncompress and untar it. For instance: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore 9 % uncompress < 9.tar.Z | tar xvpf - Alternately, by using the -auto switch, mhstore will automatically do the extraction for you: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore -auto 9 -- tar listing appears here as files are extracted As the second tar listing is generated, the files are extracted. A prudent user will never put -auto in the .mh_profile file. The correct procedure is to first use mhlist to find out what will be extracted. Then mhstore can be invoked with -auto to perform the extraction. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhlist(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1). Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC-934) DEFAULTS
`-noverbose' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SENDFILES(1)