Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing Non-printable characters in unix file Post 302551625 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 31st of August 2011 06:23:54 AM
Old 08-31-2011
https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-ex...character.html

---------- Post updated at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ----------

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...aces-unix.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to search files for non-printable characters?

I need to check ftp'd incoming files for characters that are not alphanumeric,<tab>, <cr>, or <lf> characters. Each file would have 10-20,000 line with up to 3,000 characters per line. Should I use awk, sed, or grep and what would the command look like to do such a search? Thanks much to anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvander
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep non printable characters

Sometimes obvious things... are not so obvious. I always thought that it was possible to grep non printable characters but not with my GNU grep (5.2.1) version. printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\t' printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\x09' printf "Hello\tWorld" | grep -l '\x{09}' None of them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing non-printable chars from multiple files

How do I remove non-printable characters from all txt files and output the results to one file? I've tried the following: tr -cd '\n' < *.txt > out.txt and it gives ambiguous redirect error. How can I get it to operate on all txt files in the current directory and append the output to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revax
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^M characters from a file

Hi, I want to removing ^M characters from a file and combine the line with the next line. ex: issue i have: ABC^M^M DEF solution i need: ABCDEF I found that you by using the following command you can remove new line characters. tr -d '\r' < infile.csv > outfile.csv still... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
10 Replies

6. HP-UX

Non-printable characters

I have been using OKI data Microline printers; models 590 and 591 to print a bar code using the following escape sequence: \E^PA^H^C00^D^C^A^A^A\E^PB^H The escape sequence is stored in a unix file which is edited using vi. Now, we are considering Microline printer model 395C and the bar code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joy Conner
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing non printable characters

Hi, in a file, i have records as below: 123|62|absnb|267629 123|267|28728|uiuip 123|567|26761|2676 i want to remove the non printable characters after the end of each record. I guess there are certain charcters but not visible. i don't know what character that is exactly. I used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep control/non printable characters

Unable to grep: Able to grep: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh check for non printable characters in a string

Hi All, I am trying to find non-printable characters in a string. The sting could have alphanumeric, puntuations and characters like (*&%$#.') but not non-printable (or that is what I think they are called) which are introduced when you copy any text from DOS to unix box. Input string1:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting records with non-printable characters

Hi, I have a huge file (50 Mil rows) which has certain non-printable ASCII characters in it. I am cleaning the file by deleting those characters using the following command - tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' < unclean_file > clean_file Please note that I am excluding the following - tab,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
6 Replies