Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk reading from named pipe (fifo) Post 302551429 by tange on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 10:35:34 AM
Old 08-30-2011
If you cannot accept that a few lines will be mixed together then you need to avoid race conditions like:
Code:
mkfifo fifo
(echo program1_line1; sleep 2; echo program1_line2) >fifo &
(echo program2_line1; sleep 1; echo program2_line2) >fifo &
cat fifo

In this case the lines do not mix up but there is no guarantee against that.

GNU Parallel guarantees the output from GNU Parallel will never be mixed up, but that requires that you can get the output to stdout:
Code:
grep -v '^@' massive_file | parallel --max-procs 16 --pipe -N 2500 a_program -h --no-debug-on-stdout - 2> stderr |
  awk '{ a[$1] = a[$1] + $2 } END { for (i in a) print i, a[i] }' | sort -nk1 > sorted_output

If 'a_program' cannout output to stdout, you should be able to do this:
Code:
grep -v '^@' massive_file | parallel --max-procs 16 --pipe -N 2500 'mkfifo out_{#}; a_program -h out_{#} >stdout_{#} 2> stderr{#} & cat out_{#}' |
  awk '{ a[$1] = a[$1] + $2 } END { for (i in a) print i, a[i] }' | sort -nk1 > sorted_output

That will create a fifo for each job, save the output to the fifo while cat'ting it out from the fifo. GNU Parallel will then catch the output and send it to awk when the job is done.

I have the feeling we are talking a lot of data coming into and out from 'a_program' and that you would prefer not having temporary files (which GNU Parallel will use for buffering the output). In that case consider putting the awk script into parallel with a_program.

The awk script seems to count the frequency of a given input and it should not be too hard to merge several outputs from the awk script.
This User Gave Thanks to tange For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Pipe & fifo....

Could someone Help me with this code please? #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include <fcntl.h> #define SIZE_B 256 /*buffer's size */ #define NUM_ARG 20 /* max number of args for any command */ int... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PIPE and FIFO buffer size

Hello! How I can increase (or decrease) the predefined pipe buffer size? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIFO named pipes

Hi...Can anyone please guide me on FIFO Pipes in UNIX.I have lerant things like creating fifo pipes,using them for reads and writes etc.I want to know what is the maximum amount of memory that such a pipe may have? Also can anyone guide me on where to get info on this topic from? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from blocking fifo pipe in shell script

Hi!! I have a problem reading from a fifo pipe in shell script. The idea is simple, I have a C program with two pipe files: An input pipe I use to send commands in shell script to the C program (echo "command" > input.pipe) An output pipe that I read the result of the command also in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorin
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fifo or named pipe working?

Can someone explain to me the working of fifo() system call using simple C programs so that I can implement them in the UNIX environement? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lvkchaitanya
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why not SIGPIPE for readers of pipe/FIFO?

Hi This is a exercise question from Unix network programming vol2. Why the SIGPIPE signal is generated only for writers when readers disappear. why not it is generated for readers when writer disappears. I guess, if the writer didn't get any response like the reader gets EOF, it will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
4 Replies

9. Programming

Pipe & fifo size limit

Hi guys. 1. how much is the size of pipe?(i mean the buffer size) 2. is this size different in various UNIX derivations? 3. what happens if we write to a full pipe? does it block until get some free space(the other side receive data) or returns an error? 3. FIFO s are physical files on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX fifo concurrent read from a named pipe

I have created a fifo named pipe in solaris, which writes the content of a file, line by line, into pipe as below: $ mkfifo namepipe $ cat books.txt "how to write unix code" "how to write oracle code" $ cat books.txt >> namepipe & I have a readpipe.sh script which reads the named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen mani
2 Replies
fifo(3tcl)                                                                                                                              fifo(3tcl)

NAME
fifo - Create and manipulate u-turn fifo channels SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl package require memchan fifo DESCRIPTION
fifo creates a stream-oriented in-memory channel and returns its handle. There is no restriction on the ultimate size of the channel, it will always grow as much as is necessary to accommodate the data written into it. In contrast to the channels generated by memchan a channel created here effectively represents an U-turn. All data written into it can be read out, but only in the same order. This also means that a fifo channel is not seekable. The channels created here can be transferred between interpreters in the same thread and between threads, but only as a whole. It is not possible to use them to create a bi- or unidirectional connection between two interpreters. Memory channels created by fifo provide two read-only options which can be queried via the standard fconfigure command. These are -length The value of this option is the number of bytes currently stored in the queried memory channel. -allocated The value of this option is the number of bytes currently allocated by the queried memory channel. This number is at least as big as the value of -length. As the channels generated by fifo grow as necessary they are always writable. This means that a writable fileevent-handler will fire con- tinuously. The channels are also readable if they contain more than zero bytes. Under this conditions a readable fileevent-handler will fire continu- ously. NOTES
One possible application of memory channels created by memchan or fifo is as temporary storage device to collect data coming in over a pipe or a socket. If part of the processing of the incoming data is to read and process header bytes or similar fifo are easier to use as they do not require seeking back and forth to switch between the assimilation of headers at the beginning and writing new data at the end. SEE ALSO
fifo2, memchan, null KEYWORDS
channel, fifo, i/o, in-memory channel, memchan, stream COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-2003 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> Memory channels 2.1 fifo(3tcl)