Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory Post 302551387 by jayan_jay on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 08:19:08 AM
Old 08-30-2011
one more ..
Code:
$ ls -ltr | grep -v ^d | awk '{print $9}' | sed '/^.\{24\}5/!d'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the length of file names in a directory?

Hi, how can find length of file names in a directory. Examp: I have a directory with name "d1". directory: d1 files: aaa.log bbb.log abcd.log abcdef.log I wold like out put like: file name legnth aaa.log 3 bbb.log 3 abcd.log 4 abcdef.log 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a pattern of files in one directory into other with new pattern names...

Hi, I have to copy a set of files abc* in /path/ to /path1/ as abc*_bkp. The list of files appear as follows in /path/: abc1 xyszd abc2 re2345 abcx .. . abcxyz I have to copy them (abc* files only) into /path1/ as: abc1_bkp abc2_bkp abcx_bkp .. . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
6 Replies

3. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directory from array of file names with paths

I have a script that generates a variable with the location of a file and its complete path. What i want to do is to "cd" to the directory where that file is located using the path name of the file. GIS has absolutely failed me. For example when i run my script it generates a variable called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knome
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find pattern in file names?

I have some files, those are abbreviated (ed,ea, and bi) company_ed_20100719.txt company_ea_20100719.txt company_bi_20100719.txt I would like to rename these files by replacing ed with EmployeeDetails ea with EmployeeAddress bi with BankInfomration as company_... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
3 Replies

7. Programming

help with printing file names in current directory for C

How do I print all the file names in current directory in C? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a pattern on a line from a csv file

hello I'm doing a unix program and i'm using many file csv.in each csv file the colums are separated by ";" I would like to know the position of a pattern. For example for a line yyyy, bbbb, cccc; ddddd;eeee. I will like for example by finding the position of the pattern "cccc" and the response is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: papis
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies
on(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             on(1)

NAME
on - execute a command on a remote system with the local environment SYNOPSIS
on [-i] [-d] [-n] host command [argument] ... DESCRIPTION
The on program is used to execute commands on another system, in an environment similar to that invoking the program. All environment vari- ables are passed and the current working directory is preserved. To preserve the working directory, the working file system must be either already mounted on the host or be exported to it. Relative path names will only work if they are within the current file system. Absolute path names may cause problems. The standard input is connected to the standard input of the remote command. The standard output and the standard error from the remote command are sent to the corresponding files for the on command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Debug mode. Prints out some messages as work is being done. -i Interactive mode. Uses remote echoing and special character processing. This option is needed for programs that expect to be talk- ing to a terminal. All terminal modes and window size changes are propagated. -n No Input. This option causes the remote program to get EOF when it reads from the standard input, instead of passing the standard input from the standard input of the on program. For example, -n is necessary when running commands in the background with job control. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chkey(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), telnet(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unknown host Host name not found. cannot connect to server Host down or not running the server. can't find Problem finding the working directory. can't locate mount point Problem finding current file system. RPC: Authentication error The server requires DES authentication and you do not have a secret key registered with keyserv. Perhaps you logged in without a pass- word. Try to keylogin. If that fails, try to set your publickey with chkey. on server: RPC: can't encode arguments The 10240 byte limit for arguments to be encoded and passed from the sending to the receiving system has been exceeded. Other diagnostic messages may be passed back from the server. BUGS
When the working directory is remote mounted over NFS, a Control-Z hangs the window. Root cannot use on. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 on(1)