Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory Trace Project
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Memory Trace Project Post 302551323 by galbotrix on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 04:46:11 AM
Old 08-30-2011
As pointed out there are two aspects to this project.

1. Find out about the processes running most frequently at a particular time interval on different systems (this may be an easier option) 2. Go deeper to the physical memory(PM) trace and find the relationship between the PM addresses and most frequent access per universal time clock per system.

I understand that with address space randomized mappings and with different systems running different processes it might be very hard to find any suitable pattern emerging from this study. But as most of us know that identical systems belonging in a particular network and during a time frame might end up accessing similar PM blocks. (A block here being groups of pages) I intend to find if there is any kind of correlation between this time frame and the access. According to the working set model of a system, there exits a temporal and spatial locality of memory page access and hence we end up using the appropriate page replacement algorithms. Now I intent to see if this same analogy can be applied to the entire memory address space for access. I mean if there exists some sort of a pattern emerging for physical memory access based on time and space.

I hope to know if there has been any similar work done before with memory traces or if there are any other areas which I need to look into before I can begin this study.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trace connections

In my organization in order for anyone to go to any Unix server they have to go through "SERVER A" and login as themselves. Then people are free to go enywhere they please. For example: SERVER A, loggs in as himself telnets to SERVER B, loggs in as guest telnets to SERVER C, loggs in as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraitsev
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to trace the logs

Hi, Last day, In one of our unix boxes there was an issue wherein few of the directory structures were missing / got deleted. Is there any way by which we can find how it happened, I mean by going through syslog / which user had run what command? Thanks for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
3 Replies

3. Solaris

SSH doesn't pick up user's project from /etc/project

We have a system running ssh. When a user logs in, they do not get the project they are assigned to (they run under "system"). I verify the project using the command "ps -e -o user,pid,ppid,args,project". If you do a "su - username", the user does get the project they are assigned to (and all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurgan
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Log Trace

Hi I would like to display only error messages from my log files while monotring application on my solaris box using tail command. Is there other way we can monitor please let me know? In general # tail -f "xyz.log' ---> this will display current activity of the logs, instead i would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
4 Replies

5. AIX

How to trace cpu/memory usage for a process

I don't know when the process will start and end, I need write a script to trace it's cpu/memory usage when it is runing. How to write this script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

6. Solaris

what is the use of /etc/project file and project administration commands?

i have two doubts.. 1. what is the use /etc/project file. i renamed this file and when i tried to switch user or login with some user account the login was happening slowly. but when i renamed it to original name it was working fine... why so? 2. unix already has useradd and grouadd for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

7. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A new project was posted on The UNIX and Linux Forums project board.

A new project was posted on your project board. Project title: Bash Shell Tutoring Estimated Budget: $50/hr Start date: Immediately Required skills: Linux, Bash, Shell, UNIX I work as a datawarehouse designer and developer. Although I usually stick to the role of an analyst,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. AIX

Trace su to root

Hi, is it possible to trace everything about user that changes from its own user to root user, failed and successful attempts (I would need user and IP address of user that was trying to do that)? I tried adding auth.notice and auth.info in syslog.conf but it only tracks user withoud IP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprehodec
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FINDING DUPLICATE PROJECT ( directory project )

I have a project tree like that. after running find command with the -no -empty option, i am able to have a list of non empty directory DO_MY_SEARCH="find . -type d -not -empty -print0" MY_EXCLUDE_DIR1=" -e NOT_IN_USE -e RTMAP -e NOT_USEFULL " echo " " > $MY_TEMP_RESULT_1 while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
Project(3PERL)						      Perl Library Functions						    Project(3PERL)

NAME
Project - Perl interface to Projects SYNOPSIS
use Sun::Solaris::Project qw(:ALL); my $projid = getprojid(); DESCRIPTION
This module provides wrappers for the Project-related system calls and the libproject(3LIB) library. Also provided are constants from the various Project-related headers. Constants MAXPROJID, PROJNAME_MAX, PROJF_PATH, PROJECT_BUFSZ, SETPROJ_ERR_TASK, and SETPROJ_ERR_POOL. Functions getprojid() This function returns the numeric project ID of the calling process or undef if the underlying getprojid(2) system call is unsuccess- ful. setproject($project, $user, $flags) If $user is a member of the project specified by $project, setproject() creates a new task and associates the appropriate resource con- trols with the process, task, and project. This function returns 0 on success. If the underlying task creation fails, SETPROJ_ERR_TASK is returned. If pool assignment fails, SETPROJ_ERR_POOL is returned. If any resource attribute assignments fail, an integer value cor- responding to the offset of the failed attribute assignment in the project database is returned. See setproject(3PROJECT). activeprojects() This function returns a list of the currently active projects on the system. Each value in the list is the numeric ID of a currently active project. getprojent() This function returns the next entry from the project database. When called in a scalar context, getprojent() returns only the name of the project. When called in a list context, getprojent() returns a 6-element list consisting of: ($name, $projid, $comment, @users, @groups, $attr) @users and @groups are returned as arrays containing the appropriate user or project lists. On end-of-file undef is returned. setprojent() This function rewinds the project database to the beginning of the file. endprojent() This function closes the project database. getprojbyname($name) This function searches the project database for an entry with the specified nam. It returns a 6-element list as returned by getpro- jent() if the entry is found and undef if it cannot be found. getprojbyid($id) This function searches the project database for an entry with the specified ID. It returns a 6-element list as returned by getprojent() if the entry is found or undef if it cannot be found. getdefaultproj($user) This function returns the default project entry for the specified user in the same format as getprojent(). It returns undef if the user cannot be found. See getdefaultproj(3PROJECT) for information about the lookup process. fgetprojent($filehandle) This function returns the next project entry from $filehandle, a Perl file handle that must refer to a previously opened file in project(4) format. Return values are the same as for getprojent(). inproj($user, $project) This function checks whether the specified user is able to use the project. This function returns true if the user can use the project and false otherwise. See inproj(3PROJECT). getprojidbyname($project) This function searches the project database for the specified project. It returns the project ID if the project is found and undef if it is not found. Class methods None. Object methods None. Exports By default nothing is exported from this module. The following tags can be used to selectively import constants and functions defined in this module: :SYSCALLS getprojid() :LIBCALLS setproject(), activeprojects(), getprojent(), setprojent(), endprojent(), getprojbyname(), getprojbyid(), getdefaultproj(), fgetprojent(), inproj(), and getprojidbyname() :CONSTANTS MAXPROJID, PROJNAME_MAX, PROJF_PATH, PROJECT_BUFSZ, SETPROJ_ERR_TASK, and SETPROJ_ERR_POOL :ALL :SYSCALLS, :LIBCALLS, and :CONSTANTS ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpl5u | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getprojid(2), getdefaultproj(3PROJECT), inproj(3PROJECT), libproject(3LIB), setproject(3PROJECT), project(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Dec 2002 Project(3PERL)