Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to match floating number range in shell scripts? Post 302551300 by 915086731 on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 03:41:38 AM
Old 08-30-2011
Question How to match floating number range in shell scripts?

for example:

# I want to judge the value of $1 which should be $2<$1<$3.
Code:
temp0=`echo "$1 - $2" | bc`
temp1=`echo "$1 - $3" | bc`

if [[ $temp0 =~ 'how  to match a positive number' && $temp1 =~ 'how  to match a negative number' ]] ; then 
     echo OK
else
     echo False
fi

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, thanks.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-30-2011 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: code tags and added a "fi"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using bc with floating point number in files

Hi, I' using bash and I would like to use "bc" to compute the ratio of of two numbers and assign the ratio to a variable. The numbers are in a file, e.g. 196.304492 615.348986 Any idea how to do it? N.B. I cannot change the file to have 196.304492 / 615.348986 as the file is produced by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point number problem

Hello folks I Hope everyone is fine. I am calculating number of bytes calculation from apache web log. awk '{ sum += $10 } END { print sum }' /var/httpd/log/mydomain.log 7.45557e+09 it show above number, what should i do it sow number like 7455, i mean if after decimal point above 5 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point number loops

Hey, I guess I am just to stupid and am not seeing the "wood for the trees", but I am always getting strange errors. I want to create a mesh with coordinates like: x y z 3.1 3.0 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.9 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.8 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.7 0.75 0 0 1 3.0 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a floating number in ksh

Hi ! How to increment a varibale in ksh. #!/bin/ksh set -x RELEASE_NUM=5.2.103 VAL=0.0.1 RELEASE_NUM=`echo $RELEASE_NUM + $VAL | bc` echo $RELEASE_NUM The above code is throwing this error. + RELEASE_NUM=5.2.103 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep range of lines to print a line number on match

Hi Guru's, I am trying to grep a range of line numbers (based on match) and then look for another match which starts with a special character '$' and print the line number. I have the below code but it is actually printing the line number counting starting from the first line of the range i am... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rounding off to the nearest floating number

I have a number, which I want to convert into the nearest floating number upto two places after the decimal point. E.g. 1.2346 will become 1.23 but 1.2356 will become 1.24 . Similarly 0.009 will be 0.01 and 0.001 will be 0.00 or 0.0 (not 0, wnat to keep the decimal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hbar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Floating Number Variables Comparision

I am trying to compare the floating number variables but i am receiving an error, can you please help what is wrong. Thank you. #!/bin/bash var1=100.25 var2=100.25 if (( $var1 == $var2 )); then echo "Matching" else echo "Not Matching" fi Error: ./number.sh: line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies
FSF-FUNDING(7)                                                          GNU                                                         FSF-FUNDING(7)

NAME
fsf-funding - Funding Free Software DESCRIPTION
Funding Free Software If you want to have more free software a few years from now, it makes sense for you to help encourage people to contribute funds for its development. The most effective approach known is to encourage commercial redistributors to donate. Users of free software systems can boost the pace of development by encouraging for-a-fee distributors to donate part of their selling price to free software developers---the Free Software Foundation, and others. The way to convince distributors to do this is to demand it and expect it from them. So when you compare distributors, judge them partly by how much they give to free software development. Show distributors they must compete to be the one who gives the most. To make this approach work, you must insist on numbers that you can compare, such as, "We will donate ten dollars to the Frobnitz project for each disk sold." Don't be satisfied with a vague promise, such as "A portion of the profits are donated," since it doesn't give a basis for comparison. Even a precise fraction "of the profits from this disk" is not very meaningful, since creative accounting and unrelated business decisions can greatly alter what fraction of the sales price counts as profit. If the price you pay is $50, ten percent of the profit is probably less than a dollar; it might be a few cents, or nothing at all. Some redistributors do development work themselves. This is useful too; but to keep everyone honest, you need to inquire how much they do, and what kind. Some kinds of development make much more long-term difference than others. For example, maintaining a separate version of a program contributes very little; maintaining the standard version of a program for the whole community contributes much. Easy new ports contribute little, since someone else would surely do them; difficult ports such as adding a new CPU to the GNU Compiler Collection con- tribute more; major new features or packages contribute the most. By establishing the idea that supporting further development is "the proper thing to do" when distributing free software for a fee, we can assure a steady flow of resources into making more free software. SEE ALSO
gpl(7), gfdl(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Verbatim copying and redistribution of this section is permitted without royalty; alter- ation is not permitted. gcc-4.3.0 2007-05-12 FSF-FUNDING(7)