Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory Post 302551277 by vk39221 on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 01:58:12 AM
Old 08-30-2011
Question find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone.

I do have this painful command

find . -name '[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3-

please refine this.

Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories which I dont want.

please dont use 'maxdepth' since it would not work on my unix.Smilie

appreciate your help!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the length of file names in a directory?

Hi, how can find length of file names in a directory. Examp: I have a directory with name "d1". directory: d1 files: aaa.log bbb.log abcd.log abcdef.log I wold like out put like: file name legnth aaa.log 3 bbb.log 3 abcd.log 4 abcdef.log 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a pattern of files in one directory into other with new pattern names...

Hi, I have to copy a set of files abc* in /path/ to /path1/ as abc*_bkp. The list of files appear as follows in /path/: abc1 xyszd abc2 re2345 abcx .. . abcxyz I have to copy them (abc* files only) into /path1/ as: abc1_bkp abc2_bkp abcx_bkp .. . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
6 Replies

3. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directory from array of file names with paths

I have a script that generates a variable with the location of a file and its complete path. What i want to do is to "cd" to the directory where that file is located using the path name of the file. GIS has absolutely failed me. For example when i run my script it generates a variable called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knome
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find pattern in file names?

I have some files, those are abbreviated (ed,ea, and bi) company_ed_20100719.txt company_ea_20100719.txt company_bi_20100719.txt I would like to rename these files by replacing ed with EmployeeDetails ea with EmployeeAddress bi with BankInfomration as company_... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
3 Replies

7. Programming

help with printing file names in current directory for C

How do I print all the file names in current directory in C? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a pattern on a line from a csv file

hello I'm doing a unix program and i'm using many file csv.in each csv file the colums are separated by ";" I would like to know the position of a pattern. For example for a line yyyy, bbbb, cccc; ddddd;eeee. I will like for example by finding the position of the pattern "cccc" and the response is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: papis
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies
WHEREIS(1)							   User Commands							WHEREIS(1)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
whereis [options] [-BMS directory... -f] name... DESCRIPTION
whereis locates the binary, source and manual files for the specified command names. The supplied names are first stripped of leading pathname components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext (for example: .c) Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in the standard Linux places, and in the places specified by $PATH and $MANPATH. OPTIONS
-b Search only for binaries. -m Search only for manuals. -s Search only for sources. -u Only show the command names that have unusual entries. A command is said to be unusual if it does not have just one entry of each explicitly requested type. Thus 'whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation file, or more than one. -B list Limit the places where whereis searches for binaries, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -M list Limit the places where whereis searches for manuals, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -S list Limit the places where whereis searches for sources, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -f Terminates the directory list and signals the start of filenames. It must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options is used. -l Output list of effective lookup paths the whereis is using. When non of -B, -M, or -S is specified the option will out hard coded paths that the command was able to find on system. EXAMPLE
To find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/man/man1 or have no source in /usr/src: $ cd /usr/bin $ whereis -u -ms -M /usr/man/man1 -S /usr/src -f * FILE SEARCH PATHS
By default whereis tries to find files from hard-coded paths, which are defined with glob patterns. The command attempst to use contents of $PATH and $MANPATH environment variables as default search path. The easiest way to know what paths are in use is to add -l listing option. Effects of the -B, -M, and -S are display with -l. AVAILABILITY
The whereis command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2013 WHEREIS(1)