Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines of a file if they exist in another file Post 302551125 by Shell_Life on Monday 29th of August 2011 12:46:04 PM
Old 08-29-2011
If you want unique records from the second file that are not in the reference file:
Code:
egrep -v -f Reference_File Second_File | sort -u

This User Gave Thanks to Shell_Life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi, Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from file using another file

I am having a requirement like File A contains All the records eg., ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT NINE TEN File B contains invalid records of File A eg., TWO FOUR FIVE SEVEN (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Lines if value exist in first file

I tried a few ways to resolve this using a bash script w/ a loop, no luck. File1: roughly 6,000 account numbers such as: 1111 1512 1113 123 I also have a dozen or so csv files, w/ the account number in the 4th field. What I would like to do is remove all lines if the... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from one file that exist in another file

Hello Everyone, I'm currently have a requirement where I've generated a list of files with specific attributes and I need to know what lines are similar between the two files. For example: -File 1- line1 line2 line3 -File 2- line1 line2 line4 line5 -Desires Output- line1 line2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnivir
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the lines exist between the Mattched Patterns

Hi, I have a file with the content: for name in \ sree\ rama\ laila\ srihari\ vicky\ john do echo $name done I need to remove all the name lines that exist between for (first line) and do line so that i can replace with new names. Output file should look like: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)