Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory free() in C
Top Forums Programming Memory free() in C Post 302550835 by vistastar on Saturday 27th of August 2011 11:58:09 PM
Old 08-28-2011
You must free() the original pointer returned by malloc() without any arithmetic option to it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to free the memory?

For example if i have the piece of code as follows: CountryName = (char *)malloc((strlen(CountryName)+1)*sizeof(char)); memset(CountryName, 0, strlen(CountryName)+1); CountryName = SOME VALUE Now how do i free the memory after use of this code???? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

2. AIX

Free Memory

Hi, how to find free memory in aix? for installing oracle,I have used svmon but not getting proper output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. AIX

Free Memory in aix

Hi, I want to know how to find out free physical memory in aix, (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
11 Replies

4. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

5. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

how to find out free memory?

hi, I have done the below, but am confused as to how much memory is "free" please help thanks $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 132033488 48827536 83205952 0 1007696 45404632 -/+ buffers/cache: 2415208 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to find AIX Free Memory?

All, AIX: 6.1 64 bits How to find out Free memory available on AIX 6.1 64 bits When I used : svmon -G size inuse free pin virtual mmode memory 1048576 612109 191151 215969 549824 Ded-E pg space 4325376 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a1_win
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Is there a way to free up memory manually ?

Hi, I am wondering if there is a way to free up memory in Solaris manually ? the way we can do it in Linux for example : echo `/bin/date` "************* Memory Info Before *************" free -m sync echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches echo 3 >... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
13 Replies

10. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
MALLOC(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 MALLOC(3)

NAME
calloc, malloc, free, realloc - Allocate and free dynamic memory SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void *calloc(size_t nmemb, size_t size); void *malloc(size_t size); void free(void *ptr); void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size); DESCRIPTION
calloc() allocates memory for an array of nmemb elements of size bytes each and returns a pointer to the allocated memory. The memory is set to zero. malloc() allocates size bytes and returns a pointer to the allocated memory. The memory is not cleared. free() frees the memory space pointed to by ptr, which must have been returned by a previous call to malloc(), calloc() or realloc(). Oth- erwise, or if free(ptr) has already been called before, undefined behaviour occurs. If ptr is NULL, no operation is performed. realloc() changes the size of the memory block pointed to by ptr to size bytes. The contents will be unchanged to the minimum of the old and new sizes; newly allocated memory will be uninitialized. If ptr is NULL, the call is equivalent to malloc(size); if size is equal to zero, the call is equivalent to free(ptr). Unless ptr is NULL, it must have been returned by an earlier call to malloc(), calloc() or realloc(). RETURN VALUE
For calloc() and malloc(), the value returned is a pointer to the allocated memory, which is suitably aligned for any kind of variable, or NULL if the request fails. free() returns no value. realloc() returns a pointer to the newly allocated memory, which is suitably aligned for any kind of variable and may be different from ptr, or NULL if the request fails. If size was equal to 0, either NULL or a pointer suitable to be passed to free() is returned. If real- loc() fails the original block is left untouched - it is not freed or moved. CONFORMING TO
ANSI-C SEE ALSO
brk(2), posix_memalign(3) NOTES
The Unix98 standard requires malloc(), calloc(), and realloc() to set errno to ENOMEM upon failure. Glibc assumes that this is done (and the glibc versions of these routines do this); if you use a private malloc implementation that does not set errno, then certain library routines may fail without having a reason in errno. Crashes in malloc(), free() or realloc() are almost always related to heap corruption, such as overflowing an allocated chunk or freeing the same pointer twice. Recent versions of Linux libc (later than 5.4.23) and GNU libc (2.x) include a malloc implementation which is tunable via environment vari- ables. When MALLOC_CHECK_ is set, a special (less efficient) implementation is used which is designed to be tolerant against simple errors, such as double calls of free() with the same argument, or overruns of a single byte (off-by-one bugs). Not all such errors can be protected against, however, and memory leaks can result. If MALLOC_CHECK_ is set to 0, any detected heap corruption is silently ignored; if set to 1, a diagnostic is printed on stderr; if set to 2, abort() is called immediately. This can be useful because otherwise a crash may happen much later, and the true cause for the problem is then very hard to track down. Linux follows an optimistic memory allocation strategy. This means that when malloc() returns non-NULL there is no guarantee that the mem- ory really is available. In case it turns out that the system is out of memory, one or more processes will be killed by the infamous OOM killer. GNU
1993-04-04 MALLOC(3)