Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting configure from address in mailx command Post 302550231 by latika on Thursday 25th of August 2011 05:19:08 AM
Old 08-25-2011
yes , sendmail is there.

Is there no way to configure sender address in bash mailx?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to configure mailx command??

Hi, {SunOS} I have this mailx -s command in my script and when the script is run,it throws me this message The flags you gave are used only when sending mail. Usage:mailx -eiIUdFntBNHvV!~ -T FILE -u USER -h hops -r address -s SUBJECT -f FILE users. Can you help me how i can send an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change from address in mailx

Hi, i am sending mails regulary for updation of data. The from addresses dispaly like POP.RECH@skk182.com i want display like oracle@skk182.com can u help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to verify email address using mailx command ?

Is there any way i can verify the email address (before sending the mail) using the mailx command ? I know that sendmail -bv email@address.com can do it but there is a compatibility issues with the version of Unix we have. So mailx is the only command we can used at this point. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rak007
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Configure mailx or sendmail

hi, I would like to configure mailx or sendmail to send out some mails to some users. I tried searching online for the configuration but it was kinda confusing. I thought that posting here might get someone to work with me step by step I tried sending out mail but i did not receive in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cghcgh
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to Configure a Static Ip Address

Hello friend, I am new in UNIX, but I want to learn a lot Well I have a problem to try to configure my PC with a static IP Address (IP 192.168.1.39, Mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1) (DNS 200.48.225.130 and 200.48.225.146). where are the file that I must be change? The SO is Sun Solaris... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
15 Replies

7. Solaris

to configure ip address

i have installed solaris 10 on my vmware..please tell me how i can configure ip addres and other things so that i can use internet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Customizing from address in mailx command

Currently I am using mailx command for sending mails. But the mail is sent as from userid@servername by default. Is it possible to customise the from mail address in mailx command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Configure mailx in Solaris 10

Hello, We are using exchange server in our environment. I need to configure mailx to send email from Solaris box to one mail I'd which is on exchange server. I know ip of exchange server.. Let me know where should I configure that ip to do the needful? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshsun
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command to include sender address

Hi, I m using mailx to send email. I am using sender=server name(display name) echo "body" | mailx -s "subject" -b "bcc address" "to address" -- -f "$sender". I should get email with sender as only display name. In stead i am getting displayname@server address. Please suggest Use code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usrrenny
1 Replies
envelopes(5)							File Formats Manual						      envelopes(5)

NAME
envelopes - sender/recipient lists attached to messages INTRODUCTION
Electronic mail messages are delivered in envelopes. An envelope lists a sender and one or more recipients. Usually these envelope addresses are the same as the addresses listed in the mes- sage header: (envelope) from djb to root From: djb To: root In more complicated situations, though, the envelope addresses may differ from the header addresses. ENVELOPE EXAMPLES
When a message is delivered to several people at different locations, it is first photocopied and placed into several envelopes: (envelope) from djb to root From: djb Copy #1 of message To: root, god@brl.mil (envelope) from djb to god@brl.mil From: djb Copy #2 of message To: root, god@brl.mil When a message is delivered to several people at the same location, the sender doesn't have to photocopy it. He can instead stuff it into one envelope with several addresses; the recipients will make the photocopy: (envelope) from djb to god@brl.mil, angel@brl.mil From: djb To: god@brl.mil, angel@brl.mil, joe, frde Bounced mail is sent back to the envelope sender address. The bounced mail doesn't list an envelope sender, so bounce loops are impossi- ble: (envelope) from <> to djb From: MAILER-DAEMON To: djb Subject: unknown user frde The recipient of a message may make another copy and forward it in a new envelope: (envelope) from djb to joe From: djb Original message To: joe (envelope) from joe to fred From: djb Forwarded message To: joe A mailing list works almost the same way: (envelope) from djb to sos-list From: djb Original message To: sos-list (envelope) from sos-owner to god@brl.mil From: djb Forwarded message To: sos-list to recipient #1 (envelope) from sos-owner to frde From: djb Forwarded message To: sos-list to recipient #2 Notice that the mailing list is set up to replace the envelope sender with something new, sos-owner. So bounces will come back to sos- owner: (envelope) from <> to sos-owner From: MAILER-DAEMON To: sos-owner Subject: unknown user frde It's a good idea to set up an extra address, sos-owner, like this: the original envelope sender (djb) has no way to fix bad sos-list addresses, and of course bounces must not be sent to sos-list itself. HOW ENVELOPE ADDRESSES ARE STORED
Envelope sender and envelope recipient addresses are transmitted and recorded in several ways. When a user injects mail through qmail-inject, he can supply a Return-Path line or a -f option for the envelope sender; by default the envelope sender is his login name. The envelope recipient addresses can be taken from the command line or from various header fields, depending on the options to qmail-inject. Similar comments apply to sendmail. When a message is transferred from one machine to another through SMTP, the envelope sender is given in a MAIL FROM command, the envelope recipients are given in RCPT TO commands, and the message is supplied separately by a DATA command. When a message is delivered by qmail to a single local recipient, qmail-local records the recipient in Delivered-To and the envelope sender in Return-Path. It uses Delivered-To to detect mail forwarding loops. sendmail normally records the envelope sender in Return-Path. It does not record envelope recipient addresses, on the theory that they are redundant: you received the mail, so you must have been one of the envelope recipients. Note that, if the header doesn't have any recipient addresses, sendmail will move envelope recipient addresses back into the header. This situation occurs if all addresses were originally listed as Bcc, since Bcc is automatically removed. When sendmail sees this, it creates a new Apparently-To header field with the envelope recipient addresses. This has the strange effect that each blind-carbon-copy recipient will see a list of all recipients on the same machine. When a message is stored in mbox format, the envelope sender is recorded at the top of the message as a UUCP-style From (no colon) line. Note that this line is less reliable than the Return-Path line added by qmail-local or sendmail. SEE ALSO
qmail-header(5), qmail-local(8), qmail-inject(8) envelopes(5)