Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: basic awk questions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting basic awk questions Post 302550085 by guessingo on Wednesday 24th of August 2011 02:50:45 PM
Old 08-24-2011
basic awk questions

I find an script with awk sitting around. I went through some online manuals, but I can't figure out exactly how it works. I can't post the whole program. Not allowed.

This is the line that is confusing me. I get when else is in the script
Code:
grep -v "^REM " $1| grep -v "JUNK;" | awk -F" " 'BEGIN{c=0;} { i=1; while ( i <= NF ) { f=$i; if ( f == "YUCK" ) printf("\n\nPROMPT %s \n",$0);

1. grep -v search line ,but ignore REM and JUNK
2. pipe to awk -F. -F does parsing of one line at a time

questions:
3. 'BEGIN {c=0}
Why do that? I don't see a 'c' variable anywhere else. When I googled this, you seem to do something like this when you add:

'BEGIN{for(c=0;c<50;c++)

4. { i=1; while ( i <= NF )
This a loop. that runs until the end of the line.

5. { f=$i;
didn't they just set i=1, and then increment it.
if f=$i, shouldn't that be a number instead, it appears it is what is actually in that field?

6. if ( f == "CREATE" )
condifitional logic

7. printf("\n\nPROMPT %s \n",$0);
short hand of the "then" part of conditional logic

\n\n I think means skip to lines right?
-- PROMPT? Does the word PROMPT get written? I did not see PROMPT as a key word?
-- %s? I know that printf has alot of variables you can use for formats. I did not find one for %s. what does that mean? Does anyone have a link for all the formats that work with printf?
-- /n $0)
-- another new line
-- print the enter line?

so if there is a CREATE, then print the whole line right?

After that I have a series of additional if then conditions, but I get most of it.

8. I see a -o, is that an "or" ? This is from a new line.

if ( ( f == "HERE" ) \
-o ( f == "THERE" ) \

-- if here or there? right?
-- why do we need "\", I know that means continue on a new line ,but why is that necessary here?

9. here is something else I don't get:

-o ( substr(f,length(f)-6,7) == "START" ) \

part of an if with an or
-- i know what substr does
-- f, is the variable that is being searched.
-- next it is check the length of f
-- so substr from length(f)-6 to 7.
-- then checking to see if it equals start

but the c variable is not used anywhere else?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic UNIX questions

Can somebody please tell me a little about UNIX OS. For instance, is it ideal for digital media or how easy is it to get help and support? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buk5d
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic SFTP questions

I'm trying to find out what all is involved with setting up SFTP? 1) Do Solaris machines come with a SFTP server and client already installed. 2) If so would I have to install SFTP clients on windows, if I want to transfer files to a Solaris box? 3) If SFTP doesn't come prepackaged would I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JohnRodey
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Questions

OK, here's a question from a true UNIX newb: How does one make a 20 line file? I'm lost. :confused: OK, I figured it out. :D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kitchen Zinc
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some basic questions

Hi- Newbie here with some basic questions: 1) I can't get alias to work. I tried alias ll='ls -al', but it doesn't work. When just typing 'alias', the new definition doesn't appear. I'm in a bash shell -- is that the problem. I tried switching to csh, but that didn't seem to help. This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aworstell
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic security questions

Hey guys, I've seen this posted a few times when i searched but I kinda want to know the cleanest way of doing it. On Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 What is the best way to disable telnet ssh1 and remote root login premanently? I've seen posts that say edit /etc/services edit this edit that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic variable questions

when you see something like this export SOMEDATA=.:/somedir/files what does the ".:" mean? I think the the "." alone would mean current directory but the ":" together is kind of new to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux basic questions

I have multiple questions How to list or find only Nov month's files? How can I get state of process like running, stop, or sleep etc? How can I check dependences of processes? plz ans any if u can thx regards, Mazhar Hussain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
3 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris 10 and a few basic questions

hello, first, I'm quite new to solaris. I've installed solaris 10 basic (item 4 on the install-menue). now I had to realize that I don't have any option for connecting the machine from remote. ssh isn't even installed although I've coosed 'yes' for remote access. no matter what solaris is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fourty2
10 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)