Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk variable assignment-- inside braces or not? Post 302550054 by treesloth on Wednesday 24th of August 2011 01:28:24 PM
Old 08-24-2011
Ah, thank you, both. I'd never considered that. So, when outside, the operation is simultaneously making an assignment and establishing a true/false condition. Slight variations of the example given...

Code:
seq -2 2 | awk 'x = $0 {print x}'

and...

( seq -3 -1 ; echo "" ; seq 0 3 ) | awk 'x = $0 {print x}'

Again, thanks. It's a new little bit I'd never encountered before.

Last edited by treesloth; 08-24-2011 at 02:50 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable assignment in a file

Hi All, I have a little awk script which uses a variable (x): awk -v x=0 'NF != 6 { ++x } END { print "This batch had " x " errors out of ", NR" records"}' But when I've tried to put the command in a file I can't seem to declare the variable. I've managed to simplify the code so that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assignment using awk

Guys, Could you please help me out. I need two values in two variables using awk from the o/p of grep. example:- grep sdosanjh <filename> sdosanjh myhostname myfilename NOW WHAT I WANT IS :- sdosanjh should be in variable (say NAME) myhostname should be in variable (say... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable inside awk

I am trying to print the lines with pattern and my pattern is set to a variable express awk '/$express/{where=NR;print}' test2.log I am not getting any data even though i have the data with the pattern. Can seomeone correct me with the awk command above? (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic variable assignment inside a for loop

cs1=`echo "scale=8;($css1/$css0)*100"|bc` cs2=`echo "scale=8;($css2/$css0)*100"|bc` cs3=`echo "scale=8;($css3/$css0)*100"|bc` cs4=`echo "scale=8;($css4/$css0)*100"|bc` cs5=`echo "scale=8;($css5/$css0)*100"|bc` cs6=`echo "scale=8;($css6/$css0)*100"|bc` cs7=`echo "scale=8;($css7/$css0)*100"|bc`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script

Hi There, I am writing a ksh script which assigns variable values from file "A" and passes that variables to file "B". While passing the parameters an additional "$" sign is being assigned to awk -v option. Could any one help me with this please. #!/bin/ksh head -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable assignment inside awk

Hi, Was hoping someone could help with the following: while read line; do pntadm -P $line | awk '{if (( $2 == 00 && $1 != 00 ) || ( $2 == 04 )) print $3,$5}'; done < /tmp/subnet_list Anyone know if it is possible to assign $3 and $5 to separate variables within the {} brackets? Thanks... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] printing value of a variable assignment from a file

Heyas Me try to print only the value of a (specific) variable assignment from a file. What i get (1): :) tui $ bin/tui-conf-get ~/.tui_rc TUI_THEME dot-blue "" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/usr" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/etc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/doc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/tui"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize multiple awk variable assignment

how can i optimize the following: TOTALRESULT="total1=4 total2=9 total3=89 TMEMORY=1999" TOTAL1=$(echo "${TOTALRESULT}" | egrep "total1=" | awk -F"=" '{print $NF}') TOTAL2=$(echo "${TOTALRESULT}" | egrep "total2=" | awk -F"=" '{print $NF}') TOTAL3=$(echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)