Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find only for files
Operating Systems Solaris find only for files Post 302549921 by Mani_apr08 on Wednesday 24th of August 2011 08:49:30 AM
Old 08-24-2011
Hi Yazu, Both are not working . Please advice on this

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files older than 20 days & not use find

I need to find files that have the ending of .out and that are older than 20 days. However, I cannot use find as I do not want to search in the directories that are underneath the directory that I am searching in. How can this be done?? Find returns files that I do not want. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: halo98
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I know find syntax to find given date files

Hi All, Can i use find command to know given date files? If yes, then please let me know the syntax for the same. Thanks in advance for your postive responses Regards, Bachegowda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Rename files using (find mv and sed)

In response to a closed thread for degraff63 at https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/108882-using-mv-find-exec.html the following command might do it as some shells spit it without the "exec bash -c " part: Find . -name "*.model" -exec bash -c "mv {} \`echo {} | sed -e 's//_/g'\`"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupert160
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find to command to find the files created last 30 days

what is the find to command to find the files created last 30 days (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find Search - Find files not matching a pattern

Hello all, this is my first and probably not my last question around here. I do hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. My question is as follows, I need to find files and possible folders which are not owner = AAA group = BBB with a said location and all sub folders ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilobyter
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to find a word from list of files

I need to find a word '% Retail by State' in the folder /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation. When I tried like below, -bash-4.1$ cd /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation -bash-4.1$ find ./ -name % Retail by State find: paths must precede expression: Retail Usage: find ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime -1 cannot find files without extention

The problem is this one. I tar and gzip files on remote server Code: find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_daily.tar *${Today}*.*; Command Code: find . -ctime -1 Doesn't find files without extension Code: .csv .txt I have to collect all files for current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime -1 cannot find files without extention

The problem is this one. I tar and gzip files on remote server find . -ctime -1 | tar -cvf transfer_dmz_start_daily.tar *${Today}*.*; Command find . -ctime -1 Doesn't find files without extension .csv .txt I have to collect all files for current day, when the program... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies
MADVISE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise, posix_madvise -- give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise() system call allows a process that has knowledge of its memory behavior to describe it to the system. The advice passed in may be used by the system to alter its virtual memory paging strategy. This advice may improve application and system performance. The behavior specified in advice can only be one of the following values: MADV_NORMAL Indicates that the application has no advice to give on its behavior in the specified address range. This is the system default behavior. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Same as MADV_NORMAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_SEQUENTIAL Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a sequential manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Same as MADV_SEQUENTIAL but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_RANDOM Indicates that the application expects to access this address range in a random manner. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Same as MADV_RANDOM but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_WILLNEED Indicates that the application expects to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Same as MADV_WILLNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_DONTNEED Indicates that the application is not expecting to access this address range soon. This is used with madvise() system call. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Same as MADV_DONTNEED but used with posix_madvise() system call. MADV_FREE Indicates that the application will not need the information contained in this address range, so the pages may be reused right away. The address range will remain valid. This is used with madvise() system call. MADV_ZERO_WIRED_PAGES Indicates that the application would like the wired pages in this address range to be zeroed out if the address range is deallocated without first unwiring the pages (i.e. a munmap(2) without a preceding munlock(2) or the application quits). This is used with madvise() system call. The posix_madvise() behaves same as madvise() except that it uses values with POSIX_ prefix for the advice system call argument. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
madvise() fails if one or more of the following are true: [EINVAL] The value of advice is incorrect. [EINVAL] The address range includes unallocated regions. [ENOMEM] The virtual address range specified by the addr and len are outside the range allowed for the address space. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); int posix_madvise(caddr_t addr, size_t len, int advice); The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. The type of addr has changed. SEE ALSO
mincore(2), minherit(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2), compat(5) HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. The posix_madvise function is part of IEEE 1003.1-2001 and was first implemented in Mac OS X 10.2. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD